Posted by S on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 4:08pm.
An aqueous solution is 8.50% ammonium chloride, NH4Cl, by mass. The density of the solution is 1.024g/mL. Calculate the molality, mole fraction, and molarity of NH4Cl in the solution.
I know the formulas needed but I'm not sure where to start.
M = moles solute/1 L solution
m = moles solute/1 kg solvent
x = moles solute/total moles of solution
Can I have some help please with where to get started on this problem? :) Thanks!
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 4:17pm
I would start with 8.50% NH4Cl which you know means 8.50 g NH4Cl per 100 g soln.
You know the density so you can convert 100 g soln to volume (mL) and convert 8.50 g NH4Cl to moles. That gives you an easy M = moles/L soln.
Next I would look at the % soln again. You know that is 8.50 g NH4Cl/(8.50g NH4Cl + 91.50g H2O). You know moles from the earlier step so this give you an easy m = moles/kg solvent.
Now that you know moles NH4Cl and kg solvent, you can convert to moles solvent and get X from that for NH4Cl (and X for H2O if you want it).
- Chemistry - S, Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 9:58pm
Thanks so much for the feedback! I think I figured the answers out! :)
Molarity = 0.161 M
Molality = 1.74 m
Mole Fraction = 1.57E-4 moles NH4Cl
- Chemistry - S, Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 10:18pm
Made a mistake.
****Mole Fraction = 0.0303 moles NH4CL
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 11:27pm
I obtained 1.627 which rounds to 1.63 for M. I used 53.49 for the molar mass NH4Cl.
I agree with the other two answers.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - what mass of ammonium chloride is dissolved in 100 grams water in ...
- CHM 152 - At 20oC, a 2.32 M aqueous solution of Ammonium Chloride has a density ...
- Biology - 3grams of ammonium chloride has been added to 20mL of water. The ...
- chemistry - Finding molarity and molality(best answer)? An aqueous solution is ...
- AP Chemistry - An aqueous sulfuric acid solution containing 571.6 g of H2SO4 per...
- Chemistry - An aqueous antifreeze solution is 40.0% ethylene glycol (C2H6O2) by ...
- Chemistry - An aqueous solution of H2SO4 is 60.0 % H2SO4 by mass. The density of...
- Chemistry - Household vinegar is acqueous 5.00%,acetic acid solution(by mass),if...
- Chemistry - At 20°C, an aqueous solution that is 18.0% by mass in ammonium ...
- college chemistry - a solution is made by dissolving 25 g NaCl in enough water ...