Posted by Kristen on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 10:53pm.
Predict whether the following reactions will be exothermic or endothermic
A) N2(g)+ 3H2(g) --> 2NH3(g)
B) S(g) +O2(g) ---> SO2(g)
C) 2H2O(g) ---->2H2(g) + O2(g)
D) 2F(g) +F2(g)
H-H 432 kj/mol
N-N(triple bond) 942 kj/mol
O=O 494 KJ/Mol
F-F 155 KJ/mol
H-N 386 KJ/mol
H-O 459 kj/mol
S=O 522 KJ/mol
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 11:00pm
BE = bond energy
BE reaction = BE for N2 + BE for 3*H2 - BE for 2*3(N-H)
If BE rxn is -, exothermic
If BE rxn is +, endothermic
The others are done in a similar fashion.
- Chemistry - Kristen, Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 11:12pm
I got A) Exo
But its wrong :/ i have no idea what i am doing wrong.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, January 23, 2012 at 12:18am
I know that A is an exothermic reaction.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, January 23, 2012 at 12:22am
- Chemistry - Dr Russ, Monday, January 23, 2012 at 8:14am
Yes, from general knowledge
A is exothermic
B is exothermic
C is endothermic (the reverse reaction is exothermic!)
D is the formation of F2(g) from its elements in their standard states. All elements in their standard states have a standard enthalpy of formation of zero, as there is no change involved in their formation. So D is neither exothermic or endothermic as
- Chemistry - Allison, Friday, March 29, 2013 at 5:00pm
A B & C are correct
D.Should say: 2F---Fsub2. Exothermic. One bond is formed F-F
Answer this Question
- Chemistry - Predict whether the following reactions will be exothermic or ...
- Chemistry - I'm having a hard time understanding Endothermic and Exothermic ...
- Chemistry - Calculate ∆H˚ for the following reaction using the given ...
- chemistry - 2H2 + O2 yield 2H2O , so if i switch it around, 2H2O yield 2H2 + O2...
- chemistry - 2H2 + O2 yield 2H2O to calculate bond enthalpy, we have to take bond...
- Organic Chemistry - Determine bond length and bond strength? The picture of the ...
- Chemistry - Compare the bond enthalpies of the nitrogen-nitrogen single, double...
- chemistry - in a 300-500 word essay distinguish between an ionic bond, a ...
- chemistry - assuming the valencies of hydrogen nitrogen and carbon are 1,3,and 4...
- CHEMISTRY - Please explain. The average bond enthalpy for the C-H bond is 412 kJ...