Posted by lily on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:23am.
The number 3136 is the sum of the first how many odd whole numbers?
Math 543 - Mario, Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:35am
Math 543 - claudia, Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:48am
how did you solve
Math 543 - Reiny, Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 9:08am
so we have
1+3+5+7+... = 3136
let the number of terms of this AS be n
(n/2)(2a +(n-1)d) = Sum(n)
So we have a=1, d=2 , and n = ?
(n/2)(2 + (n-1)2) = 3136
times 2 ....
n(2 + 2n - 2) = 6272
2n^2 = 6272
n^2 = 3136
n = ± 56 , but n has to be a positive whole number,
there are 56 terms
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math 543 - The number 3136 is the sum of the first how many odd whole numbers?
- SUMS? - what is the sum of the first towo odd numbers? what s the sum of the ...
- Math - Nine consecutive odd whole numbers sum to 243. Find the sum if the first ...
- math - If the first of 1000 consecutive whole numbers is odd, their sum must be ...
- math - The sum of the first n odd number is n^2. The sum of the first 30 odd ...
- Math - Sum the first two odd numbers, then the first three, the first four, and ...
- Mathematics - Cardinal Number - Hi, This is a really easy question. I think I am...
- Math 130 - Sum the first two odd numbers, then the first three, the first four, ...
- Math - Find the sum of the first 35 consecutive odd numbers. What is the sum of ...
- Math! Please check! - Consider the statement: If two whole numbers are even, ...