Posted by Saphire on Friday, January 20, 2012 at 4:00pm.
the solution with the lowest pH is
A. 1.0 M HF
B. 1.0 M HCN
C. 1.0 M HCOOH
D. 1.0 M CH3COOH
and how did you find it?
- chem - DrBob222, Friday, January 20, 2012 at 6:38pm
You COULD work each one for pH and see which is the lowest but that isn't necessary. I'll show you how to do one of them, HF since it is first.
.............HF ==> H^+ + F^-
Look up Ka. In my text Ka is listed as 7.2E-4
Ka = (H^+)(F^-)/(HF)
7.2E-4 = (x)(x)/(1-x)
Solve for x = 0.0268 M = (H^+) and pH = 1.57.
In a similar manner the pH of the other acids can be calculated, then compared to pick the one with the lowest pH.
BUT you can reason which will have the lowest pH. Low pH means highest acidity and highest acidity means the one with the largest Ka which means the strongest acid. (Note the M is the same and all have just one H atom/molecules.)
Ka HF = 7.2E-4
Ka HCN = 2.1E-9
Ka HCOOH = 1.77E-4
Ka CH3COOH = 1.8E-5
Based on these values I would pick HF as the strongest acid leading to the lowest pH. However, you should check in your text for Ka for each acid and pick the one with the largest Ka value.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - You have to prepare a pH 5.00 buffer, and you have the following 0....
- chemistry - COMMON ION EFFECT 1.) What is the pH of a solution that is 0.30M in ...
- chemisrty - Rank following acids frommost to least acidic: hydrocyanic acid (HCN...
- chemistry - A. Strong Base 1.) What is the concentration of a solution of KOH ...
- Chemistry - Find the pH of mixture of acids. 0.185 M in HCHO2 and 0.225 M in ...
- chemistry - Which solution would show the GREATEST change in pH on the addition ...
- Chem 2 - Which solution will have the lowest pH ? A. .10 M HCN B. .10 M HNO3 C...
- Chemistry - A 0.10 M solution of a weak monoprotic acid has a hydronium-ion ...
- chem ll - How many grams of formic acid, HCOOH, must be added to 0.270L of 0....
- Chem - Calculate the pH of a solution obtained by mixing 50 mL of 0.75 M CH3COOH...