Posted by widyan on Friday, January 20, 2012 at 5:10am.
Jimmy had a total of 163 apples and oranges. After selling 50% of all the apples and 20% of all the oranges, he had 110 fruits left. How many oranges did Jimmy have at first?
math - PsyDAG, Friday, January 20, 2012 at 10:22am
Let x = # of apples and y = # of oranges.
x + y = 163
x = 163 - y
.5x + .8y = 110
Substitute 163-y for x in last equation and solve for y. Insert that value into the first equation and solve for x. Check by inserting both values into the second equation.
math - Reiny, Friday, January 20, 2012 at 10:24am
let the number of apples be x
let the number of oranges be y
x+y = 163 ---> y = 163-x
.5x + .8y = 110
5x + 8y = 1100
5x + 8(163-x) = 1100
5x + 1304 - 8x = 1100
-3x = -204
x = 68
he has 68 apples and 95 oranges at first
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Maths - In a basket, 3/4 of the fruits are oranges and the rest are apples. ...
- AIG MATH - A fruit seller has an equal number of apples and oranges.He sold 109 ...
- math - A fruit seller has an equal number of apples and oranges. He sold 109 ...
- math (algebra ) - a box contains oranges and apples,there is a total of 15 piece...
- math - There are 568 apples and oranges in a box. There are 40 more apples than ...
- Math please help - Celeste is making fruit baskets for her service club to take ...
- Math - there are 600 fruits in a supermarket. If .64 are oranges and the rest ...
- Math - The question is: A Woman is selling an (X) amount of Oranges The first ...
- Maths - In a basket of apples and oranges. 15% of te he fruits are rotten. 30% ...
- math - A box contained fruits such as apples, oranges and pears. 3/5 of the ...