Posted by Grace on Friday, January 20, 2012 at 12:44am.
An ellipse has this Cartesian equation:
((x-2)/5)^2 + ((y-4)/3)^2 = 1
Find the focal radius
Find the eccentricity
Write the parametric equations for the ellipse
Transform into the form, Ax^2 + By^2 + Cx + Dy + E = 0
- Precalc - Reiny, Friday, January 20, 2012 at 9:51am
I don't know which author you use, but focal radius can be defined in more than one way
a = 5, b = 3
your ellipse will be horizontal, and
b^2 + c^2 = a^2
9+c^2 = 25
c^2 = 16
c = 4
eccentricity = c/a = 4/5 = .8
x-2 = 5coss t ---> x = 5cost + 2
y-4 = 3sin t ----> y = 3sint + 4
(x-2)^2 /25 + (y-4)^2 / 9 = 1
multiply by 225
9(x-2)^2 + 25(y-4)^2 = 225
9(x^2 - 4x + 4) + 25(y^2 - 8y + 16) = 225
I am sure you can finish it.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Precalculus - I don't even how to go about this.... Mars is in an elliptical ...
- calculus - (a) Modifying the parametric equations of a unit circle, find ...
- math - let equation of an ellipse be x^2+4y^2+6x-8y+9=0 a. Find the standard ...
- pre-calculus - the foci of an ellipse are (0,2) (0,-2) and the eccentricity is 1...
- geometry - The area of an ellipse in the form (x*x/a*a)+(y*y)/(b*b)=1 is A=3.14*...
- Trig - Find a parametric equation for the ellipse. Make sure that the graph of ...
- Calculus - find the equation for an ellipse that satisfies the following ...
- Math-Precalculus-Parametric Equations - Ellipses - The graph of the equation (x-...
- math/Check! - a. An ellipse is formed by stretching the graph of x^2+ y^2=1 ...
- Geometry - For an ellipse, one focus is (0,0), one vertex is (2,0), and the ...