Posted by love on Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 10:59pm.
Wire is often sold in pounds spools according to the wire guage number. That number refers to the diameter of the wire. How many meters are in 3-Ib spool of 12 gauge aluminum wire? A 12-guage wire has a diameter of 0.0808 in. Aluminum has a density of 2.70 g/cm^3. (V=3.14r^2L)
- Chemisty - DrBob222, Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 11:13pm
I would change 0.0808 inches to cm and 3 pounds to grams. 2.54 cm = 1 inch and 453.6 g/lb, then 0.0808 in x (2.54 cm/in) = ?
and 3 pounds x (453.6 g/lb)= ?
The area of the wire is pi*r^2.
Volume = pi*r^2*length of wire
So if you know volume, pi, and r you can calculate length. Volume = mass/density = mass (grams)/density.
Solve for length in cm and convert to m
- Chemisty - love, Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 11:19pm
so i would 0.0808 in x (2.54 cm/in) = 2.6E-1
3 pounds x (453.6 g/lb)= 1.4E3
SO THAN WHAT DO I DO NEXT
- Chemisty - DrBob222, Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 11:31pm
0.0808 2.54 is not 0.26 and you shouldn't round to two places. You are allowed 3. My calculator reads about 0.205 cm. That's the diameter so take half of that to arrive at the radius. You've rounded 453.6 x 3 too much. I would keep it as 1360.8 grams. You can round later.
Next you calculate volume.
Volume = mass/density = 1360.8/2.70 = ?
Then V = pi*r^2*length
V from above.
pi = 3.14
r from above and square it.
Length. Solve for this.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Aluminum wire is sold on 10 pound spools (100.00 lbs). The diameter ...
- Chemistry 101 - A 16 Gauge wire has a diameter of 0.0508 inch. Calculate the ...
- Physics - A large spool in an electrician's workshop has 52 m of insulation-...
- Physics - A wire is supposed to be 0.10 millimeter in diameter. Laser light of ...
- PHYSICS - A FORCE OF 40N IS Applied at the end of wire 4m long and produced an ...
- physics - A wire with circular cross-section of radius 1mm carries a current of ...
- Physics - An aluminum wire is hung between two towers and has a length of 175 m...
- physics - Consider two copper wires with the same cross-sectional area. Wire A ...
- Physics - What length of #22 B&S gauge copper wire is needed to make a ...
- Physics - Two wires with the same resistance have the same diameter but ...