Posted by Kyle on Monday, January 16, 2012 at 11:56am.
If a sample of Co2(CO)8 is found to contain 6*10^-2 mol of C atoms, how many grams of Co atoms are present?
Molar Mass (g/mol)
Co2(CO)8 - 341.95
Co atom - 58.933
C atom - 12.011
O atom - 15.999
Avaogadro's No.: 6.022*10^23
Do I need to use the 6*10^-2 mol of C atoms to find how many grams are in this sample of Co2(CO)8? Then from there find how many grams of Co atoms?
By the way, for clarification, what does it mean by "how many grams of X atoms?"
The answer is supposed to be: 0.89872825g
But I'd like an explanation on how to do this problem, thank you.
- Chemistry - Steve, Monday, January 16, 2012 at 12:38pm
Each molecule contains 2 Co atoms and 8 C atoms. So, divide .06moles of C by 4 to get moles of Co
.06/4 = .015 moles of Co
.015mol * 58.933g/mol = 0.883995g
not quite your answer; check my math.
- Chemistry - Kyle, Monday, January 16, 2012 at 12:44pm
Why did you divide .06 moles by 4? Is it because there is a 8:4 ratio of C and Co?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, January 16, 2012 at 2:01pm
Yes (actually a 2:8 ratio). 0.06 mols C x (2 Co atoms/8 mols C atoms) = 0.06 x (2/8) = 0.015 moles Co
I should point out that there is only 1 significant figure in 0.06 mol C atoms in the problem; therefore, an answer of 0.898728..... is inappropriate. The answer of 0.884 should be rounded to 0.9 g Co or 9E-1.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chem - Superscript 15 How many moles of Pb is 9.3 X 1015 atoms of pb? 1 mol of ...
- chemistry - Determine the number of moles of each specified atom or ion in the ...
- chemistry need help - Determine the number of moles of each specified atom or ...
- chemistry help - Determine the number of moles of each specified atom or ion in ...
- chemistry - last check: (c) A wine cooler contains 4.5% ethanol by mass. ...
- Chemistry - mass-mass conversions and mass-mole conversions: what is the ...
- Chemistry - I have realized I don't understand Avagado's number at all My book ...
- chem - If one pound (454g) of hexane combusts with 185 grams of oxygen which ...
- Chemistry - which conversion factor do you use to first calculate the number of ...
- chemistry - what is the mass in grams? a) 3.011 x 10^23 atoms F b)1.50 x 10^23 ...