Posted by 95 on Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 1:20am.
Write the equation of the ellipse in standard form: 4x^2-9y^2-40x+36y+100=0
precalc - drwls, Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 1:37am
That is not an ellipse. You cannot have x^2 and y^2 terms of opposite sign, for an ellipse.
You have a hyperbola. Complete the squares for standard form.
precalc - 95, Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 1:54am
okay, Thank you very much:)
precalc - 95, Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 2:08am
wait, I still end up with the wrong answer. I end up with
4(x-5)^2/-120 - 9(y+2)^2=-120
9 can't go into -120
4(x^2-10x +4)-9(y^2 +4 +4)=-100+ 4(4)-9(4)
(x-5)^2/-30 - ? 9 can't go into -120 evenly
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- drwls:precalc - 4x^2-9y^2-40x+36y+100=0 I still end up with the wrong answer. I ...
- math/Check! - a. An ellipse is formed by stretching the graph of x^2+ y^2=1 ...
- Precalc - Write the equation in standard form of the ellipse with foci (8, 0) ...
- someone please chek my math! - a. An ellipse is formed by stretching the graph ...
- Precalc - An ellipse has this Cartesian equation: ((x-2)/5)^2 + ((y-4)/3)^2 = 1 ...
- Algebra II - Write 36x^2-360x-25y^2-100y=100 in standard form. Then state ...
- precalc - Hyperbola: 25x^2+250x-36y^2-576y=2579 in standard form
- PreCalc - Find the standard form of the equation of the ellipse with the ...
- pre-calculus - the foci of an ellipse are (0,2) (0,-2) and the eccentricity is 1...
- MATH/ Check? - Correct. what is pi The definition or the number? The number is 3...