Posted by Amy on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 5:07pm.
I have a few questions on my English homework. The directions state: Analyze the sentence to select the adverb clause, subordinating conjunction, and the word(s) modified.
1. When you obey your parents, you please the Lord.
Adverb clause: _____
Subordinating conjunction: ____
Word(s) modified: ____
I think the clause would be: when you obey your parents.
I think the sub conjunction would be: when.
And the word modified would be: obey
Different directions.. Identify the type of relationship defined by the subordinating conjunction in the sentence. (either comparison, time, purpose, or place)
2. Wipe your feet before you come into the house.
I think it would be.. time. (referring to the word "before")
3. We want to start as soon as you arrive.
I think this would be a time relationship. ( "as soon as")
New Directions: Analyze the sentence to select the adjective clause and the word(s) it modifies.
4. The suggestions that she made were very helpful.
Adjective clause: that she made (would it be the entire phrase? or just "that she made"?)
Word modified: suggestions
5. Some of my cousins whom I had not seen for several years came to the reunion.
Adjective clause:whom I had not seen for several years
Word modified: came
6. Did you buy the product I recommended?
Adjective clause: I recommended
Word modified: product
If you could please look over my answers and help me with the ones I didn't get correct? I know there were a few that I probably didn't get correct :/ Thanks :)
- English/11th grade - Ms. Sue, Friday, January 13, 2012 at 5:27pm
1. Two parts are correct. However, the clause cannot modify a word within that clause. The clause modifies the verb "please."
4. The clause is "that she made."
5. This is an adjective clause, so does not modify "came."
Everything else is correct.
- English/11th grade - Amy, Friday, January 13, 2012 at 5:38pm
Thank you very much :)
and for number 5, since it's an adjective clause it would modify a noun, correct? So the noun would be cousins?
- English/11th grade - Ms. Sue, Friday, January 13, 2012 at 5:39pm
Now you're right about number 5. :-)
- English/11th grade - Amy, Friday, January 13, 2012 at 5:45pm
Yes!! Perfect, thank you so much once again! (:
- English/11th grade - Ms. Sue, Friday, January 13, 2012 at 5:47pm
- English/11th grade - BEAST SQUAD, Tuesday, February 14, 2012 at 9:05am
1025 BEAST SQUAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Answer this Question
english - - Computers - English - Foreign Languages - Health - Home Economics - ...
English - Hello Can you please come up with a few questions on the following ...
11th grade - The students of litchfield High school are in grades 9,10,11,12. Of...
Ap english - I have to answer a few questions about the essay Ralph Waldo ...
MORE OPINIONS NEEDED PLEASE!! - FOR HISTORY WE HAVE TO CONDUCT A SURVERY FROM ...
11th grade Social Studies - I was wondering what three thought provoking, open ...
12TH HISTORY - FOR HISTORY WE HAVE TO CONDUCT A SURVERY FROM PEOPLE CONCERNING 9...
English-writeacher - Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I got the grade ...
11th grade - Can some one help me and give me the answers for the questions in ...
English - What is the best topic to write a satire on?