Posted by ann on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:22pm.
Could you please help me??
point-slope form linear equation
y-3 = 3(x+1)
what is the equation in standard form of a perpendicular line that passes through (5,1). i think you take 1/3 as slope, reciprocal, I am confused about how to proceed. I know you put variables on one side and constants on other side in standard form.
what is the x-intercept of the perpendicular line?
- algebra - Henry, Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 8:21pm
I assume the line is perpendicular to
the given line.
y-3 = 3(x+1).
y-3 = 3x+3,
-3x+y = 6,
3x-y = -6.
m1 = -A/B = -3/-1 = 3.
m2 = -1/3 = Negative reciprocal.
y = mx + b,
y = (-1/3)*5 + b = 1,
b = 1 + 5/3 = 2 2/3 = 8/3.
y = (-1/3)x+8/3,
Convert to STD form:
x/3 + y = 8/3,
X + 3Y = 8.
- algebra - Henry, Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 8:26pm
ADDITION: Let Y = 0 to find X-int.
X + 3Y = 8,
X + 3*0 = 8,
X = 8 = x-int.
- algebra - ann, Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 9:00pm
thank you so much for your help Henry, I really appreciate it. Ann
I understand now where I went wrong. first mistake i made was using positive 1/3 and then it was downhill from there.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - I would love for someone to check my work on the seven problems that ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Algebra - 1.Tell whether the sequence is arithmetic. If it is, what is the ...
- math - pls check!!! - Write an equation in point-slope form for the line that ...
- Geometry - How do I write an equation of a line perpendicular to the graph of -...
- algebra - Write the equation of the line that passes through point (5, 4) with a...
- algebra - given point slope form linear equation to use in answers y-3=3(x+ 1) a...
- Math - Write your answer in standard form. Show all your work if you want to be ...
- Algebra 1 - 1. How many solutions does the linear system have ? 3x - y = 4 -3x...
- math - I have a few question so I will number them off. Please answer them for ...