Posted by Shreya on Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 11:19pm.
a plane flew from red deer to winnipeg, flying distance of 1260 km. on the return journey, due to a strong head wind, the plane travelled 1200 km in the same time it took to complete the outward journey. on the outward journey, the plane be able to maintain an average speed 20km/hr greater than on the return journey.
if average speed of plane from red deer to winnipeg is xkm/hr, state an expression for the average speed of the plane from winnipeg to red deer in km/hr.
i wrote (x-20)km/hr
calculate average speed of the plane from winnipeg to red deer.
i also not real get how to do this. i go speed = distance/time?
calculate total flying time for round trip.
math-calculus - Damon, Monday, January 9, 2012 at 5:35am
Time to W = 1260/x
Time back if had gone all the way = (1260/1200)* time to W = 1260^2/1200x
speed back =(x-20)
1260 = (x-20)(1260^2/1200x)
1200 x = (x-20)(1260)
1200 x = 1260 x - 20(1260)
60 x = 20(1260)
x = 420
x-20 = 400
math-calculus - Shreya, Monday, January 9, 2012 at 10:08am
thanks very much damon :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra 2 - Flying with the wind, a small plane flew 332 mi in 2 h. Flying ...
- Algebra - Flying with wind, a plane flew 800 miles in 5 hrs. Flying against the ...
- math - a small plane flying into the wind takes 3 hrs 20 min to complete a ...
- Math - the jetstream is a strong wind current that flows across the united ...
- math - A plane flying at 200 knots left an airport A( 30° S, 31°E) and flew due ...
- math - A cyclist covers his outward journey downhill at 24mph. His return ...
- Math (URGENT) - A word problem. David flew 300km on a commuter plane, then ...
- math - In a storm, a plane flew against the wind and took 9 hours to cover 3,600...
- Algebra - A plane is traveling at a speed of 160 mph in still air. Flying with a...
- Algebra - Flying with the wind, a small plane flew 360 miles in 2hours. Against ...