Posted by Jack on Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 3:56pm.
Determine the units of viscosity,m, in the following equation:
t=m(du/dy), where t is a shear stress, u a velocity, and y is a distance in (a) the Engineering English system, and (b) the SI system.
Thermodynamics - Steve, Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:48pm
stress is force/area = kg-m/s^2m^2 = kg/ms^2
I'll use v distinguish viscosity from mass
kg/ms^2 = v * (m/s / m) = v/s
v = kg/ms or kilograms per meter-second
this can be verified at wikipedia under the viscosity article.
looks like t = kg * (m/s / s) = kg m/s^2 = Newtons
Thermodynamics - drwls, Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 8:15pm
Steve is correct.
In my generation, viscosity was usually quoted in Handbooks in units of g/(cm*s), called the poise, or 1% of that, called the centipoise.
English units of viscosity were seldom used. I seem to recall some English units called Saybolt slugs. I have never heard a better argument for the metric system.
Thermodynamics - drwls, Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 8:18pm
This may help:
Thermodynamics - drwls, Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 4:54am
A sensible unit of viscosity in the English engineering system would be slugs per foot-second.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- engineering - In a Direct Shear Test please help. 1)How do we determine the ...
- Engineering - A plane element is subjected to a shear stress τ = 360MPa ...
- physics - A drive shaft of a belt conveyor system transmits 12kW of power at a ...
- Physics - Two large parallel plates are separated by a small gap of distance 2 ...
- algebra 2(check) - 1)Choose the correct description of the system of equations:...
- Algebra - Explain how you can determine from the graph of a system of two linear...
- statistics - Suppose that each unit of a system is up with probability 2/3 and ...
- Shear Modulus - Hi there, quick question: How would you find the shear modulus ...
- civil engineering - the propane gas tank has an inner diameter of 1500mm and ...
- physics - A car of mass 1200kg accelerates from rest to a speed of 8.0ms in a ...