Posted by steev on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 at 12:34am.
can u help
this the qustion is :
A circle passes through the points (1,4)&(5,0) and its centre lies on the line x+y-3=0.Find
(i) the equation of the circle and it parametric equations .
(ii) the centre,diameter and area of the circle .
(iii) the equation of the tangent at (1,4) .
(iv) the equation of the circle concentric with the above circle and passing through the point (7,8).
- math - Reiny, Wednesday, December 28, 2011 at 8:44am
let A be (1,4) and B be (5,0)
So AB must be a chord of the circle and the centre must be the intersection of the right-bisector of AB and the line x+y - 3 = 0
slope of AB = -4/4 = -1
slope of right-bisector = 1
midpoint of AB = (3,2)
equation of right-bisector: y = x + b
with (3,2) on it
2 = 3 + b ---> b = -1
right-bisector: y = x-1
solve with the second equation:
x+y - 3 = 0
x + (x-1) = 3
2x = 4
x = 2, then y = 3
centre is (2,3)
radius is distance from centre to A
= √((2-1)^2 + (3-4)^2) = √2
i) equation of circle: (x-2)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 2
ii) you do it
iii) slope of radius from A to centre = ...
slope of tangent at A is ..... (the negative reciprocal of above
now you have a point and slope of the tangent....
iv) equation will be
(x-2)^2 + (y-3)^ = r^2
plug in (7,8) to get r^2
- ARghh ---math - Reiny, Wednesday, December 28, 2011 at 9:19am
Just noticed that you posted the same question twice, and that both Steve and I answered it.
BUT, I made a stupid error in my centre calculation, (that's what you get when you try to do things in your head without writing them down)
I had the centre as (2,3), should have been (2,1) like Steve had
so go with his solution.
- math - to Reiny - Steve, Wednesday, December 28, 2011 at 11:03am
Heh heh -- We all do these problems just for fun anyway. Any help to the students is just a welcome side effect. And, these little boo-boos help keep us humble...
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- steev - can u help this the qustion is : A circle passes through the points (1,4...
- maths - 1) Circle centre (7,-2) passes through (-2,10). Calculate radius and ...
- math - The equation of a circle with centre O(0,0) is x^2+y^2=40. The points A(-...
- maths - the centre of a circle is (2x-1,3x+1). find the x if the circle is ...
- Geometry - Within an orthonormal system consider points A(1,4) B(5,1) C(4,8) (a)...
- Math - find the equation of the circle whose centre lies on the line 5x-2y=9 and...
- math - ) A chord AB of length 13cm is drawn in a circle centre O at a distance ...
- math - Find the centre of the circle that passes through the points p(-9,5), q(1...
- math - Two chords in a circle are equal in lengh.The distances from the centre ...
- math - 1. two circles. x^2+y^2-16x-8y+35=0 and x^2+y^2=5 are given. a. write the...