Posted by math on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 at 12:33am.
can u help
this the qustion is :
A circle passes through the points (1,4)&(5,0) and its centre lies on the line x+y-3=0.Find
(i) the equation of the circle and it parametric equations .
(ii) the centre,diameter and area of the circle .
(iii) the equation of the tangent at (1,4) .
(iv) the equation of the circle concentric with the above circle and passing through the point (7,8).
algebra - Steve, Wednesday, December 28, 2011 at 4:32am
The center of the circle also lies on the perpendicular bisector of any chord. We have the chord between the two given points.
The chord has slope (0-4)/(5-1) = -1.
The midpoint of the chord is (3,2).
The equation of the line containing (3,2) and perpendicular to the chord is
(y-2)/(x-3) = 1
-x + y = -1
This intersects the line
x + y = 3 at
So, our circle has equation
(x-2)^2 + (y-1)^2 = r^2
plug in either of the given points and we find r^2 = 10. so,
(x-2)^2 + (y-1)^2 = 10
x = 2 + √10 cos t
y = 1 + √10 sin t
the rest should be easy to figure out.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - can u help this the qustion is : A circle passes through the points (1,4...
- maths - 1) Circle centre (7,-2) passes through (-2,10). Calculate radius and ...
- math - The equation of a circle with centre O(0,0) is x^2+y^2=40. The points A(-...
- maths - the centre of a circle is (2x-1,3x+1). find the x if the circle is ...
- Geometry - Within an orthonormal system consider points A(1,4) B(5,1) C(4,8) (a)...
- Math - find the equation of the circle whose centre lies on the line 5x-2y=9 and...
- math - ) A chord AB of length 13cm is drawn in a circle centre O at a distance ...
- math - Find the centre of the circle that passes through the points p(-9,5), q(1...
- mathematics - The circle x2-2x+y2-4y-4=0 lies on the cartesian plane,question 2....
- math - 1. two circles. x^2+y^2-16x-8y+35=0 and x^2+y^2=5 are given. a. write the...