Posted by Nora on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 at 3:37am.
One side of the rectangle lies along the line 4x+7y+5=0 , two of its vertices are (-3,1)and (1,1). find
(i) the equations of the other three sides.
(ii) the angle between the two diagonals of the rectangle .
(iii) the area of the rectangle.
- math - Steve, Tuesday, December 27, 2011 at 10:19am
the given line has slope = -4/7
so, the perpendicular lines have slope 7/4
If we label the corners
A = (-3,1)
C = (1,1)
Then for side AB, (y-1)/(x+3) = 7/4
for side CD, (y-1)/(x-1) = 7/4
That will give you two lines; find where they intersect each other for B, and where CD intersects the given line for D.
Then find the lengths of the sides to get the diagonals and the area.
(We already know the diagonals have length 4 from AC.)
Yeah, it's some work, but this should get you started.
- math - Henry, Wednesday, December 28, 2011 at 7:27pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - Given: QRST is a parallelogram. Prove: QRST is a square. Complete ...
- Precalculus - The sides of an isosceles triangle are 10 cm, 10 cm, and 12 cm. A ...
- math - A rectangle has one side on the x-axis and two vertices on the curve y=6...
- Math - A rectangle is inscribed between the x-axis and the parabola y=9-x^2 with...
- AP Calc - A rectangle is inscribed into the region bounded by the graph of f(x...
- Geometry - The diagonals of rectangle ABCD are AC and BD. Hallie found that the ...
- PreCalc (still confused) - Hello and Happy Halloween! Trying to get this problem...
- ap calc - A rectangle is inscribed into the region bounded by the graph of f(x...
- Geometry - A kite has an area of 32. One diagonal is 4 times the other one. The ...
- math - my question in (distance between two point) rectangle QRST has an area of...