Posted by Yuni on Sunday, December 25, 2011 at 4:59am.
if a & b are perpendicular vectors, show that
*how to show it?just multiply it?if yes where does||come from?
does||show that it should be a value?
math - drwls, Sunday, December 25, 2011 at 6:11am
| | around a number means "magnitude of". You will need to use the following relationships:
a*a = |a|^2
b*b = |b|^2
a*b = 0, because they have said that a and b are perpendicular.
Th "*" operator means "dot product", which I assume you have learned the meaning of. In general, for vectors x and y,
x*y = |x| |y| cos(theta)
where theta is the angle between the two vectors. Thus, in this case,
a*a -a*b + 2b*a -2b*b
|a|^2 - 2|b|^2
Do problem (b) the same way.
math (clarification) - drwls, Sunday, December 25, 2011 at 6:29am
My first line should have read:
| | around a number VECTOR means magnitude of that vector
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Given two non-collinear vectors a and b, show that a, axb, and (axb)xa ...
- math - Can someone please show us how to show 1500 x 2.1? I can not for the life...
- Math please help - For the first question I really need all help I can get. ...
- Physics - Suppose vectors a&b if a x b=c. Show that c is perpendicular to a&b. ...
- Physics - Suppose vectors a&b, if a cross b=c. Show that c is perpendicular to a...
- Vectors Help me pls! - Dtermine the value of a so that u=2i+aj+k and 4i-2j-2k ...
- maths - Given that vector c and vector d are non zero vectors such that vector c...
- Math - Let a, b, and c be unit vectors, such that a+b+c=0. Show that the angle ...
- Linear Algebra - Please , I don´t know how to do this demonstration: If A and B ...
- math - Please show me how to solve: For what value of k are the graphs of 12y...