Posted by Alissa on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 at 8:02pm.
solve the inequality express in interval notation
x^4 + 4x^3 - 9x^2 - 36x < 0
- Algebra - Writeacher, Tuesday, December 20, 2011 at 8:04pm
- Alegra - Alissa, Tuesday, December 20, 2011 at 9:32pm
Ah yeah which is why I post the question.
- Alegra - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, December 20, 2011 at 9:47pm
Alissa -- Writeacher corrected your spelling of "Algebra" so that a math expert would see your post.
Jiskha doesn't have any experts in Alegra (whatever that is).
- Alegra - Steve, Wednesday, December 21, 2011 at 11:05am
x^4 + 4x^3 - 9x^2 - 36x
= x(x^3 + 4x^2 - 9x - 36)
Cubics are hard to solve, so look for easy roots. They will be factors of 36.
A little synthetic division reveals
Now since everything is single roots, the graph alternates between positive and negative between roots.
Since it's a quartic with a positive coefficient, it will be positive before the lowest root and after the highest root.
y > 0 for x < -4
y < 0 for -4 < x < -3
y > 0 for -3 < x < 0
y < 0 for 0 < x < 3
y > 0 for x > 3
- Alegra - Alissa, Wednesday, December 21, 2011 at 3:02pm
Thank you I appreciate your help and the fact that you didn't make a big issue out of a typo. Again thank you.
Answer this Question
- algebra - solve the inequality express in interval notation x^4 + 4x^3 - 9x^2 - ...
- Solve Inequality - Solve the inequality. Express your solution using interval ...
- Math Homework - Solve the inequality and express the answer in interval notation...
- pre cal - solve the inequality express your solution in interval notation (x - 4...
- Math - Solve the inequality by first rewriting it as an equivalent inequality ...
- precalculus - solve the inequality express your solution using interval notation...
- calculus - use a sign chart to solve inequality. Express answers in interval ...
- algeb collage - solve the inequality,express using interval notation x3-5x2-14x&...
- pre-calculus - please help me with thisone thanks solve the inequality ...
- Math - Problem4 - Solve the inequality. Express your solution using interval ...