Posted by Luis on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 at 12:09pm.
Would someone please check my work. I need to combine the following sentences into one by using a semicolon.
1)Abalone fishing in California is strictly regulated. A person is allowed to harvest only twenty-four of these large mollusks per year.
A)Abalone fishing in California is strictly regulated; a person may only harvest twenty-four of these large mollusks per year.
2)City life offers many advantages. In many ways, however, life in a small town is much more pleasant.
A)City life offers many
advantages; however, in many ways life in a small town is much more pleasant.
3)The door contains an inflatable slide to be used in an emergency. In addition, each seat can become a floatation device.
A)The door contains an inflatable slide to be used in an emergency; in addition, each seat can become a floatation device.
4)Most car accidents occur within twenty-five miles of the home. Therefore, you should wear a seat belt on every trip.
A)Most car accidents occur within twenty-five miles of the home; therefore, a seat belt should be worn on every trip.
5)Involvement in team sports provides more than just health benefits for young girls. It also increases their self-confidence.
A)Involvement in team sports provides more than just health benefits for young girls; their self-confidence is increased as well.
Thank you for the help.
- English - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, December 20, 2011 at 12:31pm
All are correct.
Did you have a reason for changing the wording in the last sentence?
- English - Luis, Tuesday, December 20, 2011 at 12:41pm
Honestly I feel like I did something wrong if I do not change the sentence in someway. I also thought it sounded better this way. How would have you written it?
- English - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, December 20, 2011 at 12:54pm
I would have kept the same wording because it was a parallel structure with the first clause.
You didn't need to do anything but put in a semicolon in each sentence.
- English - Luis, Tuesday, December 20, 2011 at 1:03pm
Okay, I will keep that in mind. I appreciate the advice.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English Comp - Just want some advice on if i am doing this correctly. Thanks in ...
- English - Revise the following sentences as needed to create pronoun-antecedent ...
- Literature - 'A symbol is a person, place, or thing, or an event that stands for...
- english - 16. How could you combine the following two sentences into one ...
- Sentences - Are my sentences correct with the following directions? (Sentences ...
- ENGLISH CHECK - English is my second language; please help me to solve few ...
- english - 1. Which of the following sentences is correctly punctuated? A. The ...
- English - What is the theme of "Abalone, Abalone, Abalone" by Toshio Mori?
- English - 1. Take exercise on a regular basis, and you will be a happy person. 2...
- english I - Combine together the following pairs of sentences by using ...