Posted by Jessica on Monday, December 19, 2011 at 6:36pm.
I am not exactly sure of what I'm supposed to do in the following question:
Describe and correct the error, given the functions f(x)=3x - 5 and g(x)=1/3 - 4/3.
The first equation is as follows:
g(-3)= 1/3 - 4/3 (3)
=1/3 - 4
= -3 2/3
The second equation is:
f(1)= 1/3 - 4/3(1)
=1/3 - 4/3
It appears to me that they wrote the functions in the wrong order, but I honestly have no idea what they're asking me to do. Also, it looks like the equations are correct! I'm home-schooled and learning math on your own is easily the most difficult thing, so all help is most appreciated. You don't exactly have to solve the question for me or anything, just simplifying it in any way would help me out. Thank you for reading!
- Math - Reiny, Monday, December 19, 2011 at 7:41pm
First of all, I think you have a typo in the g(x) equation.
I am pretty sure you meant to type
g(x) = (1/3)x - 4/3
I do not like questions where a student has to find errors, so I will simply do the question the correct way
g(-3) = (1/3)(-3) - 4/3
= -1 - 4/3
= -3/3 - 4/3
= - 7/3
f(1) = 3(1) - 5
= 3 - 5
- Math - Steve, Tuesday, December 20, 2011 at 12:25am
Looking at the comment and the way she substituted, I thing
g(x) = 1/3 - (4/3)x
- Math - Jessica, Wednesday, December 21, 2011 at 8:17pm
Haha, Steve is correct, I apologize for the guesswork. :/
It's g(x)= 1/3 -4/3x.
Going off the work Reiny did, I am still rather clueless, so considering it's only two problems, I guess I'll just have to do some guesswork myself. Thank you for the help, though!
Answer this Question
- algebra 1 function question - given functions f(x) = 3x-5 and g(x) = 1/3 - 4/3x ...
- Calculus - I finished this problem but I wanted some feedback because I don't ...
- math - how would this equation look: y=f(x+3) when y=f(x)= x^2 would it look ...
- pre-calc Question on a previous question - On the question below, Bob Pursley ...
- calculus/graphing calculator help - We were given a worksheet on modifying ...
- Math - What is the value of y if x = -3? y = 1 = 2(x-5) Plug in -3 for x, in the...
- Algebra - Graph and label the following two functions: f(x)=(x^2+7x+12)/(x+4) g(...
- To MathMate - Yep you are right, we are helping each other out... actually we ...
- math - Describe and correct the error made in solving the literal equation at ...
- math - I'm supposed to factor this: 3z^2-17z+24 I used the quadratic equation, ...