Posted by Henry2 on .
Could you please help me rephrase the author's description of Mr. Bennet's personality. Thank you.
This is the description given by Jane Austen.
1) "Mr. Bennet was so odd a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice, that the experience of three and twenty years had been insufficient to make his wife understand his character. Her mind was less difficult to develop. She was a woman of mean understanding, little information, and uncertain temper. When she was discontented, she fancied herself nervous. The business of her life was to get her daughters married; its solace was visiting and news."
2) Mrs. Bennet is portrayed as superficial in her understanding, trivial in her interests and mistaken in her judgements.
3) On the other hand, Mr. Bennet is described as a man of sharp wit, curiously insensitive.
4) He is always ready to humour, mock or tease but he doesn’t seem to take his responsibilities seriously. He is so reserved that twenty years have not been enough for his to understand his character.
2) Mrs. Bennet is portrayed as superficial in her understanding, trivial in her interests, and mistaken in her judgements.
3) On the other hand, Mr. Bennet is described as a man of sharp wit, curiosity, and unpredictability.
4) He is always ready to mock or tease, but he doesn't appear to his wife to take his responsibilities seriously. Even after being married to him for twenty-three years, she still doesn't understand him.