Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, December 18, 2011 at 5:29pm.
The total number of interior angles in two regular polygons is 17, and the total number of diagonals is 53. How many sides does each polygon have? Show work and explain.
8th grade math - Steve, Sunday, December 18, 2011 at 9:05pm
Think of the number of diagonals for an n-gon.
For each point p, there are n-3 points that form diagonals (n less p itself and the two adjacent vertices)
Going around for all n points, each diagonal is counted twice. So, the dumber of diagonals d(n) for a n n-gon is
d(n) = n(n-3)/2
The number of interior angles is just n.
So, for two polygons, of m and n vertices,
m + n = 17
m(m-3)/2 + n(n-3)/2 = 53
substitute m = 17-n
(17-n)(14-n)/2 + n(n-3)/2 = 53
You have a 6-gon and an 11-gon
8th grade math - Holly, Monday, December 19, 2011 at 12:02pm
Akeem is putting a fence around his square garden. If the area of the garden is 144 square meters, how many meters of fencing will he need?
8th grade math - Anonymous, Monday, December 19, 2011 at 5:20pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math. - Each exterior angle of a regular polygon is 15 degrees. 1.Determine the ...
- Math - 1. The measure of an interior angle of a regular polygon is 20 more than ...
- maths: plzz help - (a) A polygon with n sides has a total of 1/p*n(n-q) ...
- Grade 8 Math - How can you use the measures of the interior angles of regular ...
- math - find the sum of the measures of the intieior angles of each polygon. -...
- Math - Are the statements Always, Sometimes or Never. Please explain why. Thanks...
- math--fast help please - Find the interior and exterior angle measurements of a ...
- Maths - Two polygons have te number of their sides in the ratio 1:3.The sums of ...
- Geometry - 1. How many sides does a regular polygon have if one exterior angle ...
- geometry - if a polygon has 53 sides, what will the total number of degrees (i,e...