Posted by Una on Sunday, December 18, 2011 at 1:46pm.
I need help with this question please. A solid cylinder of mass m and radius R has a string wound around it. A person holding the string pulls it vertically upward such that the cylinder is suspended in midair for a brief time interval (change in)t and its center of mass does not move. The tension in the string is T, and the rotational inertia of the cylinder about its axis is (1/2)mR^2.
What is the linear acceleration of the person's hand during the time interval change in t?
Physics - drwls, Sunday, December 18, 2011 at 3:09pm
Since the cylinder's center of mass is not moving up or down, T = m g
to maintain translational equilibrium
The applied torque is T*R = m*g*R.
That equals the rate of change of angular momentum,
d/dt(I*w) = (mR^2/2)dw/dt = m*g*R
m cancels out and
dw/dt = g/(2R) rad/s^2 = alpha
The linear acceleration of the person's hand is alpha*R = g/2
Physics - okovko, Monday, December 10, 2012 at 2:46am
Well, the posted solution is incorrect.
Te => tension, To => torque, al => alpha
Te = mg
To = I * al = Te * R
0.5mR^2 * al = mgR
al * R = 2g = a
Physics - asdfdd, Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:39am
okovko is right
Physics - a.o.k., Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 11:22pm
okovko is correct
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - I need help with this question please. A solid cylinder of mass m and ...
- Physics - A massless string is wrapped around a cylinder of mass 0.400 kg and ...
- physcs - A string is wrapped around a uniform solid cylinder of radius 3.10 cm, ...
- physics - A string is wrapped around a uniform solid cylinder of radius r. The ...
- Physics - M, a solid cylinder (M=2.35 kg, R=0.111 m) pivots on a thin, fixed, ...
- Physics - Consider a stainless steel annular disk with an outer radius 66 mm and...
- physics - A long string is wrapped around a 6.2cm diameter cylinder, initially ...
- phsyics - A long string is wrapped around a 6.4-cm-diameter cylinder, initially ...
- Physics - A solid cylinder is mounted above the ground with its axis of rotation...
- Physics - A top is a toy that is made to spin on its pointed end by pulling on a...