Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, December 17, 2011 at 2:12pm.
What does this definition of rhetoric mean by Plato:
the persuasion of ignorant masses within the courts and assemblies
English - Ms. Sue, Saturday, December 17, 2011 at 2:15pm
The only way most people got news or ads or political information was from what they heard. Most were illiterate. So Plato meant that verbal rhetoric was the only way to teach the masses of people.
English - Anonymous, Saturday, December 17, 2011 at 2:22pm
Thank you very much.
English - Ms. Sue, Saturday, December 17, 2011 at 2:22pm
You're very welcome.
English - bobpursley, Saturday, December 17, 2011 at 2:41pm
I am not certain this is his meaning. Plato was fighting against high sounding arguments, full of sound and fury, but meaning little. Such were the retorical arguments in the "courts" of the rich and powerful, and in the "assembilies" of the priviledged. Plato was very unhappy over these famous folks, who proclaimed "high minded" philosophy, these same people murdered Socrates, Plato's teacher. So Plato here is being derisive, about those who preach philosophy and high minded ideals, when in fact they are plotting murderers. Note Plato stated those in the courts and assemblies were "ignorant masses".
English - Ms. Sue, Saturday, December 17, 2011 at 2:42pm
Thanks, Bob. Your answer is much better than mine.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Write about a time someone you know who used rhetoric/elements of ...
- English - what does rhetoric mean in this sentence? He has toned down the ...
- CRITICAL THINKING - Persuasion via Rhetoric Quiz II
- 7th Grade Lit - When reflecting on audience and persuasion, what is the most ...
- American Government - what kind of state court system is set up so that trial ...
- English - I don't understand what Aristotle's definition of rhetoric is. He said...
- English- Miss Sue - Combine each group of sentences into a single cohesive ...
- english - How rhetorical definitions, comparisons and explanations differ? These...
- ECON 2 - False signals. A procedure has been designed that will detect 99% of ...
- Philosophy - If Plato had to write a letter to Aristotle about his philisophical...