Posted by 95 on Friday, December 16, 2011 at 10:50pm.
what is the directrix and focus of the equation 1/16(y+4)^2=x-3
- precalc - drwls, Saturday, December 17, 2011 at 12:07am
Perform a substitution
x' = x-3
y' = y+4
and you are left with the equatiom
y'^2 = 16x'
This is the equation of a parabola with axis along the line y = -4 and vertex at (x',y') = (0,0)
which is (x,y) = (3,-4)
The factor 16 tells you where the focus and directrix are.
16 = 4p,
where p is the distance from the vertex to the focus and directrix.
That puts the focus at (x,y) = (7,-4)
The directrix is the vertical line x = -1
Answer this Question
- precalc - what is the directrix and focus of the equation 1/16(y+4)^2=x-3
- precalc - What is the directrix and focus of the equation 1/16(y+4)^2=x-3
- Precalc - i need help with this equation anything help will be greatly ...
- Pre-cal - Sketech the graph of the equation y^2+4y+2x+10=0. Identify the vertex...
- algebra - 6. Find the equation of each parabola described below. a) parabola ...
- ALGEBRA 2 help please would appreciate - for the equation -4x-8y^2=0,give the ...
- alGEBRA 2 help please would appreciate - for the equation -4x-8y^2=0,give the ...
- maths - Given that the equation of the parabola is 5y^2 + 24x = 0. Find (1)The ...
- precalc - Find the focus and directrix of y=4x^2
- precalculus - Find the focus, directrix, and focal diameter of the parabola. 9x...