Posted by Sherri on Thursday, December 15, 2011 at 12:14pm.
I have answered these questions, but when it comes to the "functions" of the infinitives i get a little stuck.. can you please check the answers that i've chosen? thanks in advance!
Identify the function of the infinitive in the sentence. Choose from the following: subject, direct object, object of the preposition, predicate noun, adjective, adverb
1. The person to ask is your mother.
Function of the infinitive: adjective
2. It is too expensive to travel.
Function of the infinitive: predicate noun?
3. Chance hates to erase the boards.
Infinitive phrase: to erase the boards
Function of the infinitive phrase: adverb
4. To know her is to love her.
Infinitive phrase: to know her
Infinitive phrase: to love her
Function: direct object
6. To speak clearly is essential to being understood.
Infinitive phrase: To speak clearly
Used in sentence as: subject
7. My goal is to write a best-selling novel.
Infinitive phrase: to write a best-selling novel
Used in sentence as: adverb
8. The psalmist says, "To do Thy will I take delight."
Infinitive phrase:To do Thy will I take delight
Object of the infinitive: delight
Please help! These are so confusing :/ I know that infinitives are: "to ___" but what I dont know is the functions.. thanks in advance <3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- infinitives - You have two choices, to stay or to go. to stay and to go are the ...
- Latin 1 Infinitives - Can someone please give me basic sentences to translate ...
- English - What are the infinitives in the sentence The only way to have a friend...
- English - Need help with infinitive The only way to have a friend is to be one. ...
- Grammar - I'm a little confused with this question about infinitives and ...
- independent clauses - Select the correct statement a. an independent clause ...
- Grammer - Is "because" a subordinate conjunction? Could you please give me a ...
- infinitives - It was too late for Sam to register for the course. to register - ...
- english, can you check over my answers? thanks! - I have answered these ...
- english I - Combine together the following pairs of sentences by using ...