Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 6:39pm.
For each of the following, identify what figure of speech, if any, is being used. In several cases, it might be argued that more than one exists. In those cases, you will identify only the primary figure.
My brother has grown a great deal in the last year. He is almost as tall as I am now.
I think this is a metaphor.
Death, be not proud, though some have callÚd thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;
I think this is personification.
- English - Writeacher, Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 7:34pm
There is no metaphor in the first sentence.
I agree with personification in the Donne lines.
- English - Anonymous, Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 10:06pm
So do you think it is simile? The only reason I said metaphor was because it said he is...Even though it also says as I thought it focused more on what he was. Could it have no figure of speech?
- English - Writeacher, Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 10:19pm
It would be a simile if you were comparing two unlike things:
He seems as tall as the building.
She sings like a lark.
I don't think that sentence has any figure of speech in it.
- English - Lana, Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 10:50pm
The first sentence is simile
- English - Anonymous, Friday, December 16, 2011 at 11:15pm
That's what I was thinking, Wrtieacher.
Lana, why do you think so?
Answer this Question
- Density - Can you identify a metal if you know its density? Explain It depends ...
- math - Palmer Cheese Company is a small manufacturer of several different cheese...
- Statistics - It has been reported that 80% of taxpayers who are audited by the ...
- government - the president's clemency powers apply only to a. criminal cases b. ...
- epidemiology - For this Discussion, read the following scenario, and then ...
- strayer - For this Discussion, read the following scenario, and then address the...
- statistics - Consider the data that was obtained from a random sample of 45 ...
- Civics - I need help with one more question. Identify factors that affect how ...
- Math - An electronics firm uses 600 cases of transistors each year. The cost of ...
- math 12 - without looking at cases Jamie just puts the CDs into cases. The cases...