Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 9:43pm.
A carpenter is cutting a 3ft by 4ft elliptical sign from a 3ft by 4ft piece of plywood. The ellipse will be drawn using a string attached to the board at the foci of the ellipse.
A)How far from the ends of the board should the string be attached?
B)How long should the string be?
- College Algebra - drwls, Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 1:52am
The semimajor axis is a = 2 ft.
The semiminor axis is b = 1.5 ft.
The equation of the ellipse is
x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1
I have assumed (0,0) is the center of the rectangle.
The foci are at y = 0 and x = +/- c, where
c = sqrt[a^2 - b^2] = sqrt1.75
= 1.323 ft
The distance of the foci from the closest end of the board is 4 - 1.323 = 2.677 ft
String length = 2c = 2*s
- analytic geometry - drwls, Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 1:55am
Ignore the final '=2s '
The answer got sent before I could finish.
2c = 2.646 ft is the string length
- College Algebra - Anonymous, Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 11:52am
the sum of one half a number, one third a number and one twelfth of a number is 33. find the original number
- College Algebra - ajchat, Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 7:39pm
Slight mistake in the first answer...The total distance the foci are apart from each other is 2.6457 ft. BUT the distance of the foci from the closest end of the board is 2 - 1.32288 = .67712 ft. Since c^2= a^2 - b^2, and 2a=4, and a=2, therefore a-c is equal to 2-1.32288 which is only .67712 ft. Also, string length is equal to 2c + 2(a-c)=2c + 2a - 2c which is only equal to 2a. So, the string length is 4 ft.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math Word Problem - A carpenter is cutting a 3ft by 4ft elliptical sign from a ...
- math help - please explain your answer and how you got it.. Samantha had a ...
- math m, - A sheet of cardboard 3ft by 4ft will be made into a box by cutting ...
- math - What is the are of 18ft 18ft 4ft 3ft 3ft
- math - A 4ft piece of pipe needs to be divided into pieces that are 2/3ft long. ...
- Geometry - What is the area semi-circle piece of glass for Norman glass when the...
- Math - find the surface area and volume of a similar figure that is larger by ...
- math - convert 48in= ft A)3ft B)4ft C)5ft D)6ft
- maths - a carpenter has a board that is 8 ft long. he cuts off two piece.one ...
- 8th grade math - What is the volume of a crate with the dimensions of 4ft by 3ft...