Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 9:43pm.
A carpenter is cutting a 3ft by 4ft elliptical sign from a 3ft by 4ft piece of plywood. The ellipse will be drawn using a string attached to the board at the foci of the ellipse.
A)How far from the ends of the board should the string be attached?
B)How long should the string be?
- College Algebra - drwls, Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 1:52am
The semimajor axis is a = 2 ft.
The semiminor axis is b = 1.5 ft.
The equation of the ellipse is
x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1
I have assumed (0,0) is the center of the rectangle.
The foci are at y = 0 and x = +/- c, where
c = sqrt[a^2 - b^2] = sqrt1.75
= 1.323 ft
The distance of the foci from the closest end of the board is 4 - 1.323 = 2.677 ft
String length = 2c = 2*s
- analytic geometry - drwls, Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 1:55am
Ignore the final '=2s '
The answer got sent before I could finish.
2c = 2.646 ft is the string length
- College Algebra - Anonymous, Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 11:52am
the sum of one half a number, one third a number and one twelfth of a number is 33. find the original number
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math Word Problem - A carpenter is cutting a 3ft by 4ft elliptical sign from a ...
- math help - please explain your answer and how you got it.. Samantha had a ...
- math m, - A sheet of cardboard 3ft by 4ft will be made into a box by cutting ...
- math - What is the are of 18ft 18ft 4ft 3ft 3ft
- math - A 4ft piece of pipe needs to be divided into pieces that are 2/3ft long. ...
- Geometry - What is the area semi-circle piece of glass for Norman glass when the...
- Math - find the surface area and volume of a similar figure that is larger by ...
- math - convert 48in= ft A)3ft B)4ft C)5ft D)6ft
- maths - a carpenter has a board that is 8 ft long. he cuts off two piece.one ...
- 8th grade math - What is the volume of a crate with the dimensions of 4ft by 3ft...