Posted by Sherri on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 3:12pm.
Which sentence contains a participial phrase with an embedded clause?
Running, giraffes look like something that was designed in a bad dream.
Running when they heard the gunshots, the giraffes fled to safety.
Tired and hot, they stopped when they found water.
When I first looked at this, I thought the last one.. because of the fact that i thought "tired" was a past participial.. but when I looked at all 3 sentences, they almost all look like participles.. ugh, i'm confused! I'm thinking that it must be the embedded clause that is throwing me off.. help?
participial phrases - Writeacher, Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 3:15pm
Participles can have -ing endings if they are present participles or past tense endings (-ed, -d, or any irregular past form).
I see a participle by itself in the first sentence.
I see a participle and the rest of the words in its phrase in the second sentence.
I see a participle and an adjective in the third sentence.
What is your definition of "embedded"?
participial phrases - Sherri, Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 3:19pm
Well, that's the thing.. My lesson that I'm learning doesn't state what an embedded clause is.. I looked it up, but all I came up with was that it's the same as a subordinating conjunction.. would that be correct?
participial phrases - Sherri, Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 3:21pm
I meant subordinate clause! Whoops
participial phrases - Writeacher, Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 3:24pm
Then I'd choose the second sentence. In addition to the participle "Running," there is also a subordinate clause: "when they heard the gunshots".
participial phrases - Millie, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 1:41am
I'm in the 4th grade and my teacher stated use the following participial phrases in a sentence of mine own,
1; Riding a bicycle, is great form of excersing.
2; being afraid, of the dark can be very frighting.
having found the solution,
now heres where I'm stuck can you help me please
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - What type of phrase is underlined in the sentence below? (Lying in bed...
- english - What is the participial phrase in the sentence? They heard the gilr ...
- Language Arts - Im not really sure about these. But i just put what i think, ...
- EW! GRAMMAR! - Can someone help me find GOOD pratice tests for Prepositional ...
- Reading - Choose the option that correctly identifies the words in () in each ...
- Language arts - What is the participial phrase in the sentence? Living in New ...
- Language Arts - I just need someone to double check my work. :) Here are my ...
- English - I had to pick what grammatical stucture is in the "" portion of the ...
- English 10th grade - "On windy days, you can hear its wings beating like a pair ...
- Language arts Participial Phrase - In the following sentence, what word does the...