Posted by Mary Beth on Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 7:35pm.
I have some questions about using ser or estar
1.If I am from a place I would use soy and if I am in a place I would use estoy like Yo soy or Yo estoy??
2.If I'm saying you are sick, I would use estás-form of estar?
3.¿Dónde están ellos? Correct?
Spanish - Mary Beth, Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 3:17pm
Sorry the post is so odd but I couldn't actually post the Yo soy de Brazil or Yo estoy en Brazil for the first two or the other two where I asked if you were enfermo would I use the estar form
Spanish-Please check - SraJMcGin, Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 8:32pm
1l, 2., 3., = all YES.
For the last question = yes, as well.
P.S. The difference between "ser" and "estar"
SER & ESTAR:
USES OF ESTAR:
Estar is used to express:
Location or position.
Temporary change from a normal state or condition.
(With common adjectives such as: caliente, cansado (-a), contento (-a_, frío (-a), limpio (-a), lleno (-a), ocupado (-a), sucio (-a), triste) EXCEPTION: feliz takes ser.
Result of an action, with past participles.
Continuous action, with present participle.
USES OF SER:
Ser is used to express:
Characteristics of a more permanent nature.
Origin, possession and material, with “de”
Occupations and nationalities.
Time and dates.
Actions with past participles.
NOTE: Some adjectives may be used with either “estar” or “ser” but the meaning changes.
Alberto es bueno (malo). = Albert is good (bad).
Alberto está bueno (malo). = Albert is well (ill).
Alberto es pálido. = Albert is pale complexioned.
Alberto está pálido hoy. = Albert is (seems) pale today.
Alberto es listo. = Albert is clever.
Alberto está listo. = Albert is ready.
Adjectives used with “ser” or “estar” must agree with the subject in number (singular/plural) and gender (masculine/feminine).
María está cansada. = Mary is tired.
Son ricos. = They are rich.
Spanish-Please check - Mary Beth, Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 8:45pm
Thank you for the explanation-it was really helpful-I'm not so confused anymore-thanks again
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Spanish - I have some questions about using ser or estar 1.If I am from a place ...
- Beginner Spanish -Check my answers please - Select the correct forms of ser or ...
- Spansh #2 (URGENT) - Can someone please check my work? Julieta's friends all ...
- Spanish - Are my answers correct? If I am wrong please don't give me the answer...
- spanish - Hello. Can you please see if this is written in Spanish correctly ...
- spanish - I updated my paragraph. Can you see if this is written correctly? Yo ...
- Spanish - Is this correct? Hi my name is. I study at Ashworth College. I am ...
- spanish help - Ser or Estar use correct form 1. Yo estoy de Claifronia 2. ...
- Spanish - what does "tengo quince anos.", Estoy bastante bien, gracias.", and "...
- SpanishiA - Which type of animal does the rain forest contain more than 4,000 ...