Posted by Gabby on Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 6:30pm.
Write the balanced formula equation, complete ionic equation, and net ionic equation. If no precipitate forms, write "No reaction"
a) Hg2(NO3)2 (aq) + CuSO4 (aq)
b) Ni(NO3)2 (aq) + CaCl2 (aq)
c) K2CO3 (aq) + MgI2 (aq)
d) Na2CrO4 (aq) + AlBr3
Please explain! Thank you
- chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 9:55pm
A reaction "goes" if one of three things happen.
a. a ppt forms,
b. a gas forms, or
c. a slightly ionized substance forms.
The balanced formula equation follows:
K2CO3(aq) + MgCl2(aq) ==> MgCO3(s) +
For the complete ionic equation you separate all of the entities above into ions UNLESS the substance meets one of the three reasons why a reaction goes to completion. For any of the three above, you write the substance as molecules and not as ions.
2K^+(aq) + CO3^2-(aq) + Mg^2+(aq) + 2Cl^-(aq) ==> MgCO3(s) + 2K^+(aq) + 2Cl^-
Then we form the NET IONIC equation by canceling those ions common to both sides. That means we cancel 2K^+(aq) and 2Cl^-(aq) to leave the following:
Mg^2+(aq) + CO3^2-(aq) ==> MgCO3(s)
The ions you canceled are called spectator ions.
An example of a reaction that forms no ppt is b.
Obviously you need to know which salts are soluble. Here is a simplified table of solubility rules.
- chemistry - maxx, Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 5:19pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Help writing complete ionic and net ionic equations.? Hg2(NO3)2 (aq...
- Fundamental Chemistry - Given the balanced reaction below; write out the ...
- Chemistry - Solutions of potassium carbonate, copper(II) chloride, and lead(II) ...
- Chemistry - For a reaction between sodium phosphate and strontium nitrate write ...
- chem - Write the complete ionic equation for Cu(NO3(aq)+K2S(aq)and namd write ...
- Chemistry - Hi! I kind of need help to get started with these four problems. ...
- Desperate to understand ionic/net equa.-Chemistry - When the following ...
- chemistry - 1) List a series of tests that would determine the order of activity...
- Science (Chemistry) - . Complete all the following for the reaction (NH4)2S + Cd...
- chemistry - The following molecular equation represents the reaction that occurs...