Posted by Jennifer on Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 11:49pm.
Tc-99 is a radioactive isotope that decays by beta emission and is used by radiologists in the diagnosis of liver disease. Its decay behavior is shown by the activity-time table. What is its half-life?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 12:50am
You are supposed to look at the table and use the data to calculate the half life. How do you suppose we can do that if you don't show the table?
- Chemistry - Jennifer, Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 10:29am
The table wasn't available
- Chemistry - Jennifer, Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 10:32am
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 2:52pm
ln(No/N) = kt
No = 800 in all cases.
N = values from table
k = solve for this
t = time in hours.
For example, the first one is
ln(800/713) = k(1 hour)
k = 0.115 if I didn't goof.
Do that for each time period and average the values. Then substitute into the following:
k = 0.693/t1/2 and solve for t1/2.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- college chemistry - The half-life of 13252Te is 3.26 days. This isotope decays ...
- Chemistry - Gallium65, a radioactive isotope of gallium, decays by first order-...
- Math - D.E.Q. - The half-life of a radioactive isotope is the amount of time it ...
- chemistry - the longest lived radioactive isotope yet discovered is the beta-...
- Chemistry - The strontium-90 isotope decays by the reaction below. It has a half...
- chemistry - Strontium-90 decays through the emission of beta particles. It has ...
- chemistry - 2.The data in the table show the amount of a 500 g sample of sodium-...
- chemistry - The data in the table show the amount of a 500 g sample of sodium-24...
- Chemistry - What is the half-life of sodium-24? Explain how you determined your ...
- Chemistry - Radioactive decay is first order in the decaying isotope. For ...