Posted by -Untamed- on Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 6:01pm.
Simlifying Rational Expressions
Reduce to lowest terms, stating the restrictions on the variable. I really don't understand the whole cancelling out the factor thing, and not cancelling out the terms. As I was having lots of trouble with this stuff this is the way I was told do solve an equation.
a cannot equal 0.
^ But even following it that way I still sort of get confused.
These are the ones I really need help on. And could you please just teach me the rules and stuff for Simplifying rational expressions and stating the restrictions. If you could show me a bunch of examples that would be great, thanks.
Questions - -"Stuck" on.
*Tried solving this one...
I cancelled out the (b-9)'s and I cancelled out the b's( the one beside 2 and the one in the denominator, I wasn't sure whether they are considered as terms and if they should not be cancelled out, but it never made sense to not cancel them out so I did)
And I was left over with : 2/b-9
And the restriction part:
*Imagine the equal sign as a nonequal one
b-9 = 0
Added 9 to both sides
b = 9
Meaning b cannot equal nine. Is that the only restriction? Cause that's the only one I solved.
^ And I'm stuck :\
- Math - Reiny, Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 6:45pm
Questions - -"Stuck" on.
= a/(a+1) , a≠ 0
2-3/r-2 ????? , did you mean (2-r)/(r-2) ?
if so, then ...
= -1 , r≠2
I will assume you meant: (2b^2-18b)/( b(b-9)^2 )
= 2b(b-9)/((b-9)(b-9) )
= 2b/(b-9) , b ≠ 9
t^2+4t+4/2t^2+10t+12 , I will again assume you meant (t^2+4t+4)/(2t^2+10t+12)
= (t+2)(t+2)/(2 (t+2)(t+3) )
= (t+2)/(2t+6) , t ≠-3
In the last, it looks like you were factoring by decomposition.
I will do the bottom:
2t^2 + 10t + 12
= 2t^2 + 6t + 4t + 12
= 2t(t+3) + 4(2t+3) , you had these as being multiplied rather than added
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Please help! Simplify the rational expression. State any restrictions on ...
- Algebra - 6x +2 ______ 8 Fraction Reduce to lowest terms??? Factor the top ...
- Math - I am having trouble understanding how to reduce fractions to its lowest ...
- Simplifying Rational Expressions - 1.4x12 / 4x 2.d+7 / d^2-49 3.t^2-25 / t^2+t-...
- algebra - Reduce the rational expression to lowest terms 1/15abc (5a^3b^5c^2) =...
- Calculus - Simplify. State the nonpermissible values. (3t^2+3t-6/2t^2-2t-4)(4t^2...
- Math 11 - Rational Expressions - I really don't understand how you find or ...
- Algebra - Solve by substitution or elimination method: 4x – 5y = 14 -12x + 15y...
- math - (X^2-1)/(x-1) = (x+1)(x-1)/(x-1) = x+1. If you then subtract your ...
- math - Add the fractions 2/3, 3/8, and 5/12 and reduce your answer to lowest ...