Posted by Melinda on Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 12:16pm.
Can someone help me with this question? I got the transformation for horizontal shift and vertical shift, however, I don't know how to find the vertical/horizontal compression/stretch.
1. Describe the transformations that were applied to the parent function to create the graph shown below. Then write the equation of the transformed function.
Parent function y=x^4
Here is the link to graph:
imgur dot com/Gkaln
- Precalculus - Reiny, Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 12:37pm
I looked your graph and the new vertex is (-1,4)
so y = x^4 must have been translated to
y = (x+1)^4 + 4
but there could also be a compression , so let the new curve be
y = a(x+1)^4 + 4
from the graph we can see that (0,1) lies on the new curve
1 = a(1^4) + 4
-3 - a
so we have y = -3(x+1)^4 + 4
test for the other point shown
let x = -2
y = -3(-1)^4 + 4
all looks good
- Precalculus - Reiny, Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 12:38pm
8th line should have said
-3 = a
(but you probably guessed that was a typo)
- Precalculus - Melinda, Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 12:39pm
So it is a vertical stretch by -3?
- Precalculus - Melinda, Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 12:43pm
How did you find out what a is if you knew it was UP 4, left 1?
- Precalculus - Reiny, Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 2:37pm
Yes, the maginitude of the stretch is 3,
the - tells me the curve is opening downwards
I knew since the vertex was (-1,4)
and the parent graph of y = x^4 has a vertex at (0,0)
the graph must have moved 1 unit to the left and 4 units up
so we would get
y-4 = (x+1)^4
moving the -4 to the right made it +4
but y = (x+1)^4 + 4
would not pass through (0,1) as your picture shows.
so there must have been a stretch/compression.
that would be caused by some number in front of
so that is why I chose y = a(x+1)^4 + 4
subbing in the point (0,1) gave me a value of
a = -3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- precalculus - How do I find the vertical/horizontal compression/stretch? For the...
- algebra 2 - What are two different transformations that will transform f(x)=5x+3...
- Precalculus - Whats the value of a? =-= For the graph, determine the equation of...
- Pre-Calculus - Need help with this question, don't get it. Given the relation x^...
- Pre-Calculus Graphs expansions/compressions - Need help with this question, don'...
- math - the range for the graph of f(x)=-2(x-3)^2+7 is only affected by: a) the ...
- math - The sinusoid y=3cos(x+3)-2 has which of the following? a. phase shift of ...
- Math - So I have a question regarding advanced functions, logarithm stuff. here ...
- Math, Help Please IF you can - Chapter 6, Section 6.1, Question 036 The function...
- functions - can you explain to me the transformations in sinusoidal functions ...