Posted by Candice on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 9:46pm.
What is the area of the minor segment cut off a circle of radius 10 cm by a chord of length 12 cm?
Could you please show me the working out for this question?
The answer in the textbook is 16 sq cm.
- Maths - Reiny, Friday, December 9, 2011 at 10:29pm
Make a sketch showing the chord of 12 and the the two radii of 10.
I see an isosceles triangle. Draw an altitude from the centre to that chord, making two congruent right-angled triangles.
let the height be x, then x^2 + 6^2 = 10^2
x^2 = 100-36 = 64
x = √64 = 8
So the area of the large triangle, 10,10,12 is
(1/2) (12)(8) = 48 cm^2
We have to find the central angle of the sector.
Let each angle at the centre of the right-angled triangles be Ø
sinØ = 6/10 = .6
Ø = 36.87‡
and the central angle is 2Ø = 73.74°
area of whole circle = π(10)^2 = 100π
area of sector/100π = 73.74/360
area of sector = 64.35 cm^2
sooo, the segment is 64.35 - 48 = 16.35 cm^2
(I carried all decimals my calculator could hold and only rounded off the final answer.)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Maths - AB is a chord with centre O and radius 4 cm. AB is of length 4 cm and ...
- maths -circle - A chord of length 10 cm divides a circle of radius 5root2 cm in ...
- Geometry - A chord PQ of a circle with radius r subtends an angle B at the ...
- Copperbelt international college - A chord PQ of length 5.6cm divides a circle ...
- can xome1 help me plzz im stuck - HELP PLZZ...A circle has radius 2 cm,(in that ...
- maths - Find the area of the minor segment in a circle with radius 6.2 cm and ...
- maths - A chord subtends an angle of 68 degree at the centre of a circle of ...
- Solid Mensuration - A circle having an area of 452 square inches is cut into two...
- math geometry - Given a circle with an 8" radius, find the area of the smaller ...
- Maths - 1. In the xy-coordinate plane, point A is the midpoint of the segment ...