Posted by Summer on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 8:08pm.
A researcher is studying the decomposition of A as shown by the general reaction below:
2 A(g) 4 B(g) + 2 C(g)
Initially, the scientist fills an evacuated 1.772 L flask with 3.710 x 10-1 moles of species A. Upon equilibrium, it is determined that the concentration of A is 4.606 x 10-2 M. Calculate Kc.
This is what I have done:
2A ---> 4B + 2C
I: 3.710E-2 mol --> 0 M + 0 M
2.094E-1 M ---> 0 M + 0 M
C: -1.633E-1 ---> +_______ + ________
E: 4.606E-2 M ---> _______ + ________
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, December 9, 2011 at 10:19pm
You're ok with 0.2094M to start and 1.633 M change and 0.04606 Equil but it stops there. Here is what you do. By the way, note how I get around the spacing problem.You also need to note the arrow.
............2A ==> 4B + 2C
2x = 0.20937-0.04606 = 0.16331
Therefore, x = 0.16331/2 = 0.08165M
Then equil B = 4x and equil C = 2x.
Substitute those into Kc expression and solve.
I carried more places than allowed by the significant figure rules; you can round as your instructor does. I round at the end.
- Chemistry - Summer, Friday, December 9, 2011 at 10:43pm
Thank you Dr. Bob.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - A sample of gaseous PCl5 was introduced into an evacuated flask so ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the degree of freedom of NH4Cl, initially in an evacuated ...
- Chemistry - The reaction describing the formation of ozone from oxygen is shown...
- Chemistry - Which of the following general equations describes all decomposition...
- Chemistry - Consider the generic reaction: 2 A(g)+ B(g)--> 2C(g). If a flask ...
- Science 1 question - A researcher, studying dolphins in the wild, made the ...
- chem - The decomposition of ammonium hydrogen sulfide that is shown below is an ...
- chemistry - Consider the following reaction in a closed reaction flask. If 0.600...
- Chem - An electrochemical cell based on the decomposition of H2O2 can be ...
- Statistics - In planning a study of the birth weights of babies whose mothers ...