Posted by Amy on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 4:51pm.
g(x) = x^2 - x -12 / x + 1
I know the division brings it to x -2 + -10/x + 1
but these are the steps I have to follow
1. factor the numerator and denominator and find its domain.
( I know 0 is not in domain)
2. write in lowest ermas as p(x)/ q(x) and find the real zeros of the numerator that is find the ral solutions of the equation p(x) = 0
3. find the ral zeros of the denominator that is find the real solution of q(x) = 0
4. locate horizontal or oblique asymptotes determine points at which the graph intersects these asymptotes
5. using the real zeros of the numerator and denominator divide the x axis into intervals and determine where the graph is above the x axis and where below the x axis
6. analyze the behavior of the graph near each asymptote and indicate behavior on the graph.
7. graph ( this I can do )
Help me! This woman is impossible!!!!!
- pre cal - Steve, Friday, December 9, 2011 at 5:37pm
What woman? It's just a math problem, like others in your book...
You have (x-4)(x+3)/(x+1)
domain is all reals except where denominator is zero. That is all reals except x = -1
zeros at x = 4 and -3 because that's where the numerator is zero and the denominator is not zero
no horizontal asymptotes, since the numerator has higher degree than the denominator. As x gets large, the fraction is just x^2/x = x
So, oblique asymptote is y=x
The graph intersects it at (-6,-6)
A little interval chart will show that
y<0 for x in (-oo,-3)U(-1,4)
y>0 for x in (-3,-1)U(4,oo)
At the end you say you can graph it. Well! In that case, what's the problem? The graph shows all the answers to the questions.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Pre-cal - let P(x)=2x^4-x^3+13^2-8x-24. Use synethetic division to show that x+1...
- pre-cal - what are the steps to solve sec y sin (pi/2-y)=1
- Math applied/pre-cal - (-8/5)^7/4*(-8/5)^1/4=64/25 Not sure how get this answer...
- y912f / Spanish - Please go back to those two where I asked you to follow the 4 ...
- pre cal - does anyone take pre-cal online ?
- life science - a.)What are the steps of mitosis? b.)Explain what each of the ...
- Pre Calc (For Reiny) - Thanks so much your method worked perfectly! My solution ...
- math/algebra - Division: x^2 + 2x - 15over 4x^2 divided by x^2 -25 over 2x-10 ...
- pre cal - Use synthetic division to show that x is a solution of the third-...
- pre-cal - What are the steps for solving this? Directions Use the quadratic ...