Posted by Amy on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 4:51pm.
g(x) = x^2 - x -12 / x + 1
I know the division brings it to x -2 + -10/x + 1
but these are the steps I have to follow
1. factor the numerator and denominator and find its domain.
( I know 0 is not in domain)
2. write in lowest ermas as p(x)/ q(x) and find the real zeros of the numerator that is find the ral solutions of the equation p(x) = 0
3. find the ral zeros of the denominator that is find the real solution of q(x) = 0
4. locate horizontal or oblique asymptotes determine points at which the graph intersects these asymptotes
5. using the real zeros of the numerator and denominator divide the x axis into intervals and determine where the graph is above the x axis and where below the x axis
6. analyze the behavior of the graph near each asymptote and indicate behavior on the graph.
7. graph ( this I can do )
Help me! This woman is impossible!!!!!
- pre cal - Steve, Friday, December 9, 2011 at 5:37pm
What woman? It's just a math problem, like others in your book...
You have (x-4)(x+3)/(x+1)
domain is all reals except where denominator is zero. That is all reals except x = -1
zeros at x = 4 and -3 because that's where the numerator is zero and the denominator is not zero
no horizontal asymptotes, since the numerator has higher degree than the denominator. As x gets large, the fraction is just x^2/x = x
So, oblique asymptote is y=x
The graph intersects it at (-6,-6)
A little interval chart will show that
y<0 for x in (-oo,-3)U(-1,4)
y>0 for x in (-3,-1)U(4,oo)
At the end you say you can graph it. Well! In that case, what's the problem? The graph shows all the answers to the questions.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Simplifying Rational Expressions - 1.4x12 / 4x 2.d+7 / d^2-49 3.t^2-25 / t^2+t-...
- Can someone please help - Can someone show me how to find the sum of this ...
- Algebra - Solve Rational Inequalities x^2-x-2/x^2+5x+6<0 I cant figure this ...
- Simplifying Rational Expressions - 1. 4x-12/4x 2. d+7/d^2-49 3.t2-25/t^2+t20 4....
- Pre-Calc - How do I determine if there are common factors for x^5+3x^3+5x/4X^4+...
- Math Repost!!Please Help!!!! - 6-y --------- y^2-27-24 well it should simplify ...
- Math 209 - When simplifying a rational fraction, why do you need to factor the ...
- math - the sum of numerator and denominator is 3 less than twice the denominator...
- pre-cal - find the constant c such that the denominator will divide evenly into ...
- math - Shorten fraction: (x^2+2x)/(4x+8)= ? and reduce: (8a^3*b*a^-2)/(2b)^2= ? ...