Posted by amy on Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 5:25pm.
solve the inequality express your solution in interval notation
(x - 4)^2/ (x -6) (x + 6) > 0 Help me!
- pre cal - Reiny, Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 5:57pm
critical values of x are
x = 4, -6 and 6
Pick any x in the sections of the number line marked by these values
We don not have to do the actual calculation , just consider what happens to the signs
x < -6, say x=-10
+/-- > 0 good
x between -6 and 4, say x=0
+/- + < 0 NO
x between 4 and 6 , say x=5
+/- + <0 , NO
x > 6, say x=10
+/+ + > 0, good
so x < -6 or x > 6
Wolfram shows the graph and illustrates my solution is correct
- pre cal - amy, Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 6:17pm
Thanks I can do it that way but she counts it wrong. That is the answer I got. She wants it in interval notation.
- pre cal - Reiny, Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 6:30pm
That would be expressing it in a different form, I think it would be something like
(-∞ , -6) or (6,∞)
x < -6 or x > 6 says the same thing in a different way, but it certainly is not "wrong".
- pre cal - amy, Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 2:03pm
exactly it is what I thought but it does not match her answer sheet so she counts it wrong.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Solve Inequality - Solve the inequality. Express your solution using interval ...
- pre-calculus - please help me with thisone thanks solve the inequality ...
- math/algebra - Solve the polynomial inequality and graph the solution set on a ...
- algebra - Solve the polynomial inequality and graph the solution set on a real ...
- Algebra - Solve the polynomial inequality and graph the solution set on a real ...
- Pre-Cal. - Solve the following inequality . Write your solution in interval ...
- precalculus - solve the inequality express your solution using interval notation...
- Math - Solve the inequality by first rewriting it as an equivalent inequality ...
- pre-calculus - solve for the follow inequality. write your solution in interval ...
- algebra - solve the inequality. Express the solution using interval notation and...