Posted by Lindsay on Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 1:39am.
A standard solution is prepared for the analysis of fluoxymesterone (C20H29FO3), an anabolic steroid. A stock solution is first prepared by dissolving 10.0 mg of fluoxymestrone in enough water to give a total volume of 500.0 ml. A 100.0 micro liter aliquot (portion)of this solution is diluted to a final volume of 100.0 ml. Calculate the concentration of the final solution in terms of molarity.
Please show all steps because I actually understand and learn how to do this. Thanks!
- chemistry! URGENT - Dr Russ, Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 5:55am
We need the molarity so we will need to be working in moles and therefore need the molar mass of the steroid.
I make this
C. 12 x 20 = 240
H. 29 x 1 = 29
F. 19 x 1 = 19
O. 3 x 16 = 48
total = 336 i.e. 336 g mol^-1
If 10.0 mg is dissolved taken then this is
0.0100 g /336 g mol^-1
= 2.98 x 10^-5 mol
If this is dissolved in 500 ml which is 0.500 L then the concentration is
2.98 x 10^-5 mol / 0.500 L
= 5.95 x 10^-5 M
If 100 microlitre (0.100 ml) is diluted to 100 ml then this is a 1000x dilution (100 ml / 0.100 ml = 1000) so the final solution will be 1000 x more dilute. so
5.95 x 10^-5 M /1000
= 5.95 x 10^-8 M
(please check the maths, and you will need to decide on the final sig figs, which will be 3 sig figs I think)
- chemistry! URGENT - Lindsay, Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 9:27am
Thank you! That was a giant help, I understand now!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - A standard solution is prepared for the analysis of fluoxymesterone...
- chem - A standard solution is prepared for the analysis of fluoxymesterone (...
- Chemistry (reposts#2) - A solution is prepared by dissolving 5.00 g of ferric ...
- Chemistry(reposts #1) - A solution is prepared by dissolving 5.00 g of stannic ...
- CHEMISTRY - 1.) A solution is prepared by dissolving 5.00 g of stannic nitrate ...
- CHEMISTRY - Ion Concentrations 1.) A solution is prepared by dissolving 5.00 g ...
- Chemistry - Is my answer in 3 sig fig or 4 sig fig?? A solution is prepared by ...
- Chem II - A solution is prepared by dissolving 12.7 g Ca(NO3)2 in enough water ...
- chemistry - A solution is prepared by dissolving 25.0 g of ammonium sulfate in ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the pH and pOH of a solution prepared by dissolving 0.93 g...