Posted by Anonymous on Monday, December 5, 2011 at 9:40pm.
the geometric mean of the quantaties (x+1)and (2x+3)is(x+3).
i know that x^2+6x+9=2x^2+5x+3
(i forgot basic algebra)
geometry - Reiny, Monday, December 5, 2011 at 10:15pm
then (x+3)/(x+1) = (2x+3)/(x+3)
2x^2 + 5x + 3 = x^2 + 6x + 9
x^2 - x - 6 = 0
(x-3)(x+2) = 0
x = 3 or x = -2
if x = 3, the 3 terms are 4, 6, and 9
(note 6/4 = 9/6)
if x = -2, the 3 terms are 0, 1, and -1
but that is not possible, if the first term of a geometric sequence is zero, all the remaining terms would be zero.
so x = 3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Geometry-8th gr - The geometric mean x of two numbers is the positive value of x...
- algebra - 1. The geometric mean between the first two terms in a geometric ...
- MEDICAL HW HELP!!!! - There a high school elective that when you learn about ...
- geometric mean - The geometric mean of two postitive numbers a and b is sqrt(ab...
- geometric mean - Eighteen is the Geometric Mean of 12 and what number 18 = sqrt...
- geometry - What is the geometric mean of 7 and 12?
- geometry - what is the geometric mean of 75 and 27?
- geometry - Find the geometric mean between 7 and 21 I do not have a clue where ...
- h.p. - the arithmetic mean of two numbers exceeds the geometric mean by 3/2 and ...
- geometry - how can you find the geometric mean?