posted by Bryce .
Is there an easy way to remember how to identify the subject, verb, direct object, indirect object, Predicate nominative, and predicate adjective of a sentence? Is there any tricks? Im so confused.
I don't know of any "easy" way.
I taught my students to follow these steps.
1. Put parentheses around prepositional phrases. They are not any other part of the sentence.
2. Find the verb(s). To find it, ask what is the action or state of being?
3. Find the subject(s). To find it, ask who or what is doing the action.
4. Is there a complement? Does anything complete the action of the verb?
5. Subject complements follow linking verbs and name or describe the subject. They may be adjectives or nouns.
6. Object complements complete the action of the verb. Direct objects tell who or what after the verb. Indirect objects tell to whom or what or for whom or what after the verb.