Posted by Kelly on Monday, December 5, 2011 at 10:37am.
A rectangle garden is 30 ft by 40 ft. Part of the garden is removed in order to install a walkway of uniform width around it. The area of the new garden is one-half the area of the old garden. How wide is the walkway?
- math word problem - Steve, Monday, December 5, 2011 at 11:55am
Let the walkway have width w
The new dimensions of the garden are
(30-2w) x (40-2w)
That's half of the original area, 30x40
(30-2w)(40-2w) = 1/2 * 30*40
1200 - 140w + 4w^2 = 600
4w^2 - 140w + 600 = 0
w^2 - 35w + 150 = 0
(w-5)(w-30) = 0
w=30 doesn't make much sense. No garden left
w=5 means that the new garden is
20x30 = 1/2 of 30x40
- math word problem - Deanna, Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 12:44am
A farmer had a fence that encloses a square plot with an area of 36 meters squared. If the garnet uses this fence to enclose a circular flower garden, what will the area of the garden be?
- math word problem - sam, Friday, May 11, 2012 at 4:55pm
Suzzanne wants to build a fence around her square garden . The garden measures 7 feet on each side . How much fencing material does she need?
- math word problem - Anonymous, Thursday, April 24, 2014 at 8:48pm
The area of a square is 324 square yards.Find the amount of materialneeded to fence the garden
- math word problem - cheryl , Thursday, April 24, 2014 at 8:50pm
The area of a square garden is 324 square yards find the amount of material needed to fence the garden
- math word problem - Anonymous, Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 11:15am
Mrs Martin wants to put a wire fence around her garden which is 15 ft long and 8 ft wide. How much fencing does she need?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - A rectangle garden is to be surrounded by a walkway of constant width...
- Algebra - You are planning to build a walkway that surrounds a rectangular ...
- Algebra 2 - Liz has a rectangular garden with a walkway around the edge. with ...
- 11th grade Algebra II - Chad had a garden that was in the shape of a rectangle. ...
- Math - The dimensions of Mrs. Singleton's square garden are dilated using a ...
- MATH: Pre-Cal/Trig - The length of a rectangular flower garden is 6 more feet ...
- math - You are planning to build a walkway that surrounds a rectangular garden ...
- math - The Aesthetic Garden Problem. A landscape architect wants the length of ...
- Algebra 1 - Adam wants to create a square garden with a walkway on all four ...
- math,algebra - Can someone set this up in equations so i can solve them i would ...