Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 11:26am.
three times a first number decreased by a second number is 25. the first number increased by four times the second number is -22. find the numbers
- algebra - Matt, Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 11:31am
- algebra - Reiny, Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 11:37am
first number -- x
second number ---y
" three times a first number decreased by a second number is 25" ---> 3x - y = 25
" the first number increased by four times the second number is -22" ---> x + 4y = -22
form 2nd equation: x = -4y - 22
sub into 1st equation:
3(-4y-22) - y = 25
-12y - 66 - y = 25
-13y = 91
y = -7
then x = 28-22 = 6
First number is 6, then second is -7
3(6) - (-7) = 25
6 + 4(-7) = -22 , looks good
- algebra - toya, Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 2:48pm
Three times a number, decreased by 28.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - A second number is four times a first number. A third number is 13 ...
- Algebra I - The sum of three numbers is 147. The second number is 4 more than ...
- MS. SUE - MATH HELP PLEASE - The sum of five times a number and twice a second ...
- Grade 8 Math - Can you write them in Mathematical/numbers form I'll solve them ...
- math - the sum of two number is 39 . twice the first number plus 3 times the ...
- Algebra Its Urgent! - A second number is three times a first number. A third ...
- math - one number is three more than a second number. Three times the first is 7...
- Math - The sum of three numbers is 301. The second number is 3 less than twelve ...
- 10th grade math - The sum of three numbers is 301. The second number is 3 less ...
- algebra - Twice the first number is eleven more than the sum of the other two ...