Posted by Helen on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 1:43am.
A bowling ball of mass M and radius R is thrown along a level surface so that initially ( t= 0) it slides with a linear speed but does not rotate, see the figure. As it slides, it begins to spin, and eventually rolls without slipping.
How far has the ball moved down the lane when it starts rolling without slipping?
What are its final linear speed?
What are its final rotational speed?
- Physics - drwls, Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 2:15am
You need to specify kinetic friction coefficient and the initial velocity.
- Physics - Helen, Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 2:23am
it says to answer it in terms of those coefficients
- Physics - Helen, Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 2:25am
like, it's asking for formulas...
- Physics - Damon, Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 4:39am
Initial w, angular velocity, is zero.
now while sliding
torque = I alpha
mu m g r = (2/5) m r^2 alpha
alpha = (5/2) mu g / r
F = m a
mu m g = m a
a = mu g
w = alpha t
v = Vi - a t
when does w r equal v (no slip)
r alpha t = v = Vi - a t
(5/2) mu g t = Vi - mu g t
(7/2)mu g t = Vi
t = (2/7)Vi/(mu g)
that is the time sliding
work back up to get distance and final v
Check that with energy argument:
frictional work done = mu m g d
Initial Ke - frictional work = Final Ke
(1/2) m Vi^2 - mu m g d = (1/2) m v^2 +(1/2) (2/5) m r^2 (v^2/r^2)
Vi^2 - 2 mu g d = (7/5)v^2
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A bowling ball of mass M and radius R is thrown along a level surface ...
- Physics - A spherical bowling ball with mass m = 3.2 kg and radius R = 0.107 m ...
- Physics - A penny rests on top of a bowling ball. You give the bowling ball a ...
- physics - A spherical bowling ball with mass m = 4.1 kg and radius R = 0.116 m ...
- ap phyiscs - A bowler throws a bowling ball of radius R=11 cm down a lane. The ...
- Physics - A 6-kg bowling ball with a radius of 14 cm is spinning about a ...
- physics - A bowling ball with a mass of 4.5 kg travels at a velocity of 37 m/s ...
- Physics (mechanics) - There are two parts for this questions... "When a bowling ...
- physics - In order to convert a tough split in bowling, it is necessary to ...
- physics - I need help with an equation for: Find the force of attraction between...