Posted by j on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 9:38pm.
If the initial concentration of NH3(g) is 4.643 mol/L, calculate the % of NH3(g) left over after the reaction reaches equilibrium according to the balanced equation. The value of Kc at 773.0 K is 16.70. The initial concentration of the reaction products is 0 mol/L.
2NH3(g) = N2(g)+3H2(g)
I know that we're supposed to do an ICE chart. I got (x^2)/ 6.745-2x . But I don't know how to solve for the x and the rest I would appreciate if you could write out the steps to this :)
Chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 11:13pm
You need work on your ICE charts.
...............2NH3 ==> N2 + 3H2
Kc = 16.70 = (N2)(H2)^3/(NH3)2
16.70 = (x)(3x)^3/(4.643-2x)^2
16.70 = 27x^4/(etc)
I didn't check my work (so I could have made a math error) but I expanded the denominator, multiplied by 16.70, and ended up with
27x^4 -66.8x^2 +310.15x -360 = 0
First I ignored the 27x^4 and solved the quadratic and obtained an answer of 2.31, substituted 2.31 back into the equation to see if I obtained zero. I didn't; the value was quite positive. Several more trials and I think the answer is >1.279 but < 1.280. You can try your hand at the trial and error method or find a computer program at school that will solve a quartic or look on the web for a calculator that will do it.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, December 3, 2011 at 11:23pm
I looked on the web and found, and used, two calculators but I wasn't satisfied with either answer. One answer was 1.03 something but that didn't give me a zero when I substituted. The other one gave a value of 1.276 and that didn't give a zero either. Both showed negative numbers which means the answer is higher than 1.276.
Chemistry - j, Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 1:39am
Thank you so much :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - If the initial concentration of NO(g) is 6.745 mol/L, calculate the...
- Chemistry - If the initial concentration of BrCl(g) is 4.680 mol/L, calculate ...
- General Chemisty - 1. If the initial concentration of BrCl(g) is 4.680 mol/L, ...
- Chemistry - If the initial pressure of NH3(g) is 0.7317 atm, calculate the % of ...
- chemistry - If the initial pressure of NH3(g) is 7.845 atm, calculate the % of ...
- college chemistry - If the initial concentration of F(g) is 8.285 mol/L, ...
- Chemistry`` - A substance (CD) decomposes into C and D. CD(g) C...
- chem - ive tried the ice method but i keep on getting it wrong please help. If ...
- Chemistry - srry I placed the question in the wrong spot. The equation is 2NH3 &...
- chemistry - On this problem I keep getting the wrong answer. I am subtracting ...