Posted by Julia on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 5:26pm.
A solution is prepared by dissolving NH3(g) in water according to the following equation. NH3(g) + H2O(l)=NH4^+(aq)+ OH^-(aq)
If the pH= 9.60 what is the [OH-] in the solution.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 6:32pm
pH + pOH = pKw = 14. You know pH, solve for pOH and convert to OH^-.
pOH = -log(OH^-).
- Chemistry - ryan, Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 6:53pm
is this right
[OH-] = 10^-4.4 NOW IM STUCK?
- Chemistry - Julia, Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 7:28pm
I'm stuck there too Ryan
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 8:40pm
pH + pOH = 14
9.60 + pOH = 14
pOH = 14 - 9.60 = 4.40
pOH = 4.4 = -log(OH^-)
-4.40 = log(OH^-)
Key in -4.4 on your calculator and hit the 10x button. It should return 3.981E-5 which I would round to 3.98E-5.
- Chemistry - ryan, Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 8:52pm
I get error when I type in -4.4 log and when I put in 4.4 I get 0.6434
- Chemistry - Julia, Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 9:03pm
I got error also
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 11:09pm
You aren't following instructions. I did NOT say take the log of -4.4. Doing that gives you an error message. You want the NUMBER whose LOG is -4.4. To get that you DON'T punch in the log of -4.4. You key in -4.4 and hit the 10x button (that's 10^x button). That give you the number whose log is -4.4. Your display should read 3.98E-5. You may have seen this notation, which is the same thing, as (OH^-) = 10-4.40.
(Note that if you punch in 3.98E-5 and hit the log key, you will get -4.4).
Answer this Question
- chemistry - A solution is prepared by dissolving 15.0 g of NH3 in 250.g of water...
- Chemistry - A buffer solution is prepared by mixing 50.0 mL of 0.300 M NH3 with ...
- chemistry - what is the Molarity (M) of a 0.87m aqueous solution of ammonia, NH3...
- CHEMISTRY - A solution is prepared by dissolving 15.0 g of NH3 in 250 g of ...
- chemistry - Write a net ionic equation for the reaction of the aqueous species ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the end point pH, when 25 mL of 0.01 mol/L HCl solution ...
- chemistry - What is the pH of a buffer system prepared by dissolving 10.70 grams...
- Chemistry - How do I make NH3 to NH4? How would write an ionic equation? Can you...
- chemistry - In the reversible reaction in water solution NH3 + H2O <---> ...
- chemistry - What is the molarity of H3O+ in a 4.97×10-2 M NH4Cl solution that ...