Posted by Shelly on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 9:24pm.
At 20 degrees C ethanol has a density of 0.789 g/ml and H2O has a density of 1.0 g/ml. What is the % by volume of ethanol of a solution made by adding 50g of ethanol with 50g of H2O?
Tutor Answer: Use density = mass x volume to convert 50 g ethanol to volume and to convert 50.0 g H2O to volume.
%ethanol v/v = (volume ethanol/total volume?)*100 = ?
i thought that density = m/v
i've done the math and i think you are right because based on the above formula my answer is 126.74%
However, i don't understand why if the density formula is as you stated?
2nd, is this correct?
1/50 = .02, 1/.789 = .01578
(0.01578/0.02) x 100 = 78.9%
Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 12:19am
Yes, you are right about density and no, I don't get those answers. For that density sentence I punched x instead of / button. density = mass/volume and
volume = mass/density.
50 g ethanol has v = 50/0.789 or about 60 mL (but you need to do it more accurately). Water has volume of 50/1 = 50 mL . Total 50 + 60 = 110 and percent ethanol = (volume ethanol/total volume) x 100 which is approximately 55%.
1/50 = 0.02 but
1/0.789 is not what you wrote.
Chemistry - Shelly, Thursday, December 1, 2011 at 10:28am
Thank you for your help!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - At 20 degrees C ethanol has a density of 0.789 g/ml and H2O has a ...
- chemistry - What is the mass/vol % ethanol in an ethanol-water solution with ...
- chemistry - A 52.3 kg sample of ethanol is needed for a reaction. What volume in...
- chemistry - Calculate the molarity and mole fraction of a 2.35 m solution of ...
- Chemistry - What is the mass/ vol% ethanol in an ethanol water solution with ...
- Chemistry - Mass of unknown solution=25.671 Mass ethanol =8.243 Assuming that ...
- Chemistry - A bottle of wine contains 11.4% ethanol by volume. The density of ...
- AP Chemistry - A bottle of wine contains 12.5% ethanol by volume. The density of...
- chemistry - What volume of ethanol must be diluted with water to prepare 315 mL ...
- Chemistry - What volume of ethanol must be diluted with water to prepare 768 mL ...