Posted by linda on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 4:52pm.
A tire with a diameter of 100 cm rotates 20 times in 3 seconds.
a) determine the angular velocity
b) how far the tire has travelled?
c) what is the speed in km/h?
- Math- Trig please help! - Reiny, Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 5:08pm
a) angular velocity = 20(2π)/3 radians per second
= 40π/3 rad/sec
b) one rotation = (2π)(50) cm = 100π cm
so 20 rotations would cover 20(100π) or 2000π cm
c) assuming you mean linear speed
speed = distance / time = 2000π/3 cm/sec
= (2000π/3)(3600)/(100000) km/h
= 24π km/h
( there are 100000cm in 1 km, and 3600 seconds in 1 hour)
- Math- Trig please help! - Steve, Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 5:09pm
angular velocity is radians/sec
20rev/3sec = 20/3 rev/sec = 40pi/3 rad/sec
Assuming that the tire rolls without slipping, it has gone 20*2pi*100 = 4000pi cm
4000pi cm/3sec = 4188.8cm/sec * 3600sec/hr * 1km/100000cm = 150.8km/hr
- Math- oops - Steve, Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 5:11pm
My bad. I missed where it said diameter, not radius.
Reiny has it right.
- Math- Trig please help! - linda, Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 6:34pm
- Math- Trig please help! - lol, Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 10:48pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Trig - if the diameter of a tire is 3.5 m and makes one rotation every 5...
- pre cal - If an 22-inch tire rotates 40 times per 2 minute, determine th elinear...
- pre cal - if a 22 inch tire rotates 40 times per 2 minutes, determine the linear...
- physics - A car tire rotates with an average angular speed of 29rad/s. In what ...
- 5th grade Math - I need help with the question below. A bicyle tire has a ...
- math(trig) - 1) A 6-ft propeller turns at 1200 revolutions per minute. Compare ...
- Math - If the diameter of a monster truck tire is 3.5 m and it makes one ...
- Math - The diameter of a tire is 2.5 ft. What is the circumference of the tire? ...
- geometry - A bicycle tire has a diameter of 60cm and rotates 33.3 revolutions ...
- PhYsIcS - RoTaTiOnAl MoTiOn - A tire (0.8 m diameter) starts at rest and has an ...