Posted by Jessica on Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 3:24pm.
Aspirin is a weak acid with a Ka of 3.0x10^-5. Find the pH of a solution by dissolving .65g of aspirin in water and diluting it to 50mL. You can use RCOOH to represent aspirin. Molecular weight of aspirin is 180g/mol
Chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 4:22pm
moles aspirin = grams/molar mass = 0.65/180 = approximately 0.004 mole.
.........RCOOH ==> H^+ + RCOO^-
Ka = (H^+)(RCOO^-)/(RCOOH)
Ka = (x)(x)/(0.004-x)
What is x. Solve for x = (H^+), then convert to H.
pH = -log (H^+).
Chemistry - Jessica, Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 4:33pm
The answer that was in my answer key was 2.83 but I got 3.48. Is there something wrong in the calculations?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 5:22pm
2.83 is right (and I obtained 3.46 using 0.004, also). Apparently you took my "apparoximately 0.004) and assumed that was gospel. I had to stick something there and didn't want to calculate it so I guessed at it and wrote approximately. I assumed you would substitute the correct value although I didn't say you should confirm my approximate number (but you should have). The molarity of the aspirin is 0.0722. (NOTE: 0.65g x (1 mol/180g) x (1000 mL/50 mL)
Chemistry - Jessica, Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 7:47pm
For the ICE box, you are supposed to use the molarity of the aspirin. I did not realize that. Thank you so much for your help!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Aspirin is a monoprotic acid called acetylsalicylic acid. Its ...
- Chemistry - 18) Aspirin is a monoprotic acid called acetylsalicylic acid. Its ...
- chemistry - a. What is the molecular weight of aspirin (C9H8O4)? 180.1574 amu b...
- Organic Chemistry - A 1.0 gram sample of aspirin will dissolve in 300 mL of ...
- Chemistry - The distribution coefficient between ether and water for aspirin at ...
- chemistry - The distribution coefficient between ether & water for aspirin at ...
- Chemistry - Acetylsalicylic acid (C9H8O4) is a monoprotic acid commonly known as...
- chemistry - an aspirin contains .324 g of aspirin. how many pounds of aspirin ...
- chemistry - A 0.010 M solution of aspirin, a weak monoprotic acid, has a pH of 3...
- chemistry - Aspirin is synthesized in a reaction with a theoretical yield of 0....