Posted by -Untamed- on Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 9:14pm.
Find the Zeros of the following functions
f(x) = x/3 +5
^ That one is layed out so differently I don't understand how to solve.
In each of the following, determine the zeros of the function and determine the y-intercept of the graph of the function.
f(x) = 5x^2 - 35x
f(x) = 3x(x^2-49)
Math - Steve, Friday, November 25, 2011 at 12:05am
It's not so different. It just has a fraction. You can always use y instead of f(x)
y = x/3 + 5
To solve, set y=0 and solve for x
0 = x/3 + 5
x/3 = -5
x = -3/5
The y-intercept is always easy. Just plug in x=0 and evaluate y
y = 5x^2 - 35x
y(0) = 0 so the y-intercept is (0,0)
5x^2 - 35x
so, y=0 when
5x(x-7) = 0
x=0 or x=7
The x-intercepts are (0,0) and (7,0)
Note that (0,0) is both an x-intercept and a y-intercept.
y = 3x(x^2 - 49)
Think back to your factoring exercises, and recall the difference of two squares:
(a+b)(a-b) = a^2 - b^2
y = 3x(x+7)(x-7)
So, the y-intercept is (0,0)
x-intercepts are (0,0) (7,0) and (-7,0)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - For the following function f(x)=2x^4-6x^2+2x-1. Find the maximum ...
- Maths - I have a test tomorrow and I really don't get this, please help me. "Use...
- advanced functions/precalculus - 1. The function f(x) = (2x + 3)^7 is the ...
- college allgebra - f(x)=x^6+4x^5+4x^4+3x^3-x^2-5x+4 Find the maximum number of ...
- Decartes Rule of Signs - Could you explain to me decartes Rule of signs? Here ...
- Algebra 2 - One of the the zeros of the functions F(x)= x^4+2x^3-13x^2-38x-24 is...
- college algebra - 1. solve the following logarithmic equation log_8(x+8)+log_8(x...
- Math - I just wanted to double check that I am correct. 1.Find the zeros for the...
- alg 2 - find all zeros of the following function: f(x)=x^3-x^2+4x-4 I have (x^2+...
- algebra - p(x)=x^3+2x^2-3x+20 one of this functions zeros is -4 When using ...